Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 4 day old won't latch

Default 4 day old won't latch

My cousin just had a baby boy just 4 days ago and she's having problems. At the hospital where she delivered the nurses didn't bring her baby to her to nurse until he was 3 hours old and in the sleepy state. The nurses are supposed to bring you the baby within 1 hour after birth to nurse. Samething happened to me, my daughter was 3 hours old when she was brought to me and she wouldn't latch either.
    I delivered at the same hospital.
    She said the nurses took him to the nursery so she could rest and would bring him back in 2 hours and see if he will latch, well they brought him back to her 4 hours later and he still wouldn't latch. They tried again 4 hours later and he still wouldn't. She told the nurses before she delivered NO BOTTLES or formula. When he was 12 hours old he was hungry enough to latch and latched right on perfectly. Her milk has come in and he is still doing great with nursing but she is in pain. She says he pulls off a lot and cries and she doesn't understand why he keeps pulling off and crying. She can hear him drink but after 10 minutes he will start crying. I told her to have his latch checked out and she is tomorrow. As for the crying I have no clue. She is also unsure of continuing nursing (she is nervous) I tell her what a wonderful experience nursing is and how rewarding it is. She is just exhausted, in pain and wants to give up. What can I do for her? I know I can't make her but I know I can encourage her to continue and am trying. She bottle fed her other 3 kids and finds that bottlefeeding is much easier and wants to go that route again. She is having his latch checked out before she decides. He was 8lbs 4oz at birth and went home weighing 7lbs 13oz. He has a weight check on Monday. She has plenty of help at home, so she can take him somewhere quietly to nurse. She says it feels like a stabbing pain the whole time.
    Last edited by PoisonousBlonde_81; June 15th, 2007 at 11:25 PM. Reason: Forgot to add a few things

Default Re: 4 day old won't latch

The best thing you can do is support her! How awesome that you're being there for her! If you haven't already, suggest she call her nearest LLL Leader for support.

As for the pain, if it happens when baby latches on, it sounds like it could be the latch. You might send her some links on assymetrical latch. There's lots of videos out there, too. I found one recently that is meant for doctors and nurses, but is very informative for anyone. Just a warning that they do show the mother's bare breast (of course! It's a bfing video).
    http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...uteHelper.html

When her baby slows down with the sucking, she could try breast compressions to keep him interested longer.

I don't know if this is helpful or not. It's difficult to help as a third party! But, if you or she needs more info, just hollar.

I exclusively pump for my 10 week old. I can't help with the painful latch, but my son did and still does cry about ten minutes into nursing him (every once in a while I still try to get him to nurse, but he absolutely hates it!). His behavior was the main reason I did start to pump. The lactation consultant I talked to thought that he might have done this because by that time he needed to stimulate another let down and because the milk flow stopped he got frustrated. I hope that helps.

I know it can be absolutely crazy, but if she's more comfortable with bottle feeding, then maybe she could pump. I would not recommend this though unless she has a lot of support and help because pumping is a huge commitment. Does your cousin have support for the breastfeeding from other family members too? I pump about 8 or more times a day with a hospital grade pump and have a wonderful husband that has not only supported me, but encouraged me when I was so tired I was ready to throw in the towel.

Sometimes breastfeeding doesn't turn out the way you thought it would, but maybe if she's reminded of what a gift she's giving her child that would help. I know that's the reason I still choose to pump despite the extra work. I think if she sets her mind to it she could always find ways, even alternative ways, to give her baby breastmilk!

I hope this helps! Good luck!

Thanks a bunch, I will pass on the info. Actutally I am the first in the family to breastfeed and stick with it. Everyone else either didn't try or gave up after a couple of days. I am her only means of support on it. She wanted to try it cause he is her last baby and seen how much joy I get out of breastfeeding my baby. She also knows of the problems I had up until Kayleigh was 7 weeks old. I told her thats only because I didn't have her latch checked out until she was 7 weeks and she was also much smaller than he is and had a tiny mouth.
    I also bottlefed my other 2 kids and I find nursing much easier and I tell her, there is no getting up, getting the bottle, filling it and warming it.

I hope your cousin sticks with it! It's just so rewarding! I am the oldest of 6 kids and all of us were bottle fed. It can be hard when you're used to the bottle and not the boob. (I know, this is partly why I pump. I'm used to the bottle!) Until I got pregnant and interested in breastfeeding I never really got to see a woman breastfeed! I wish we all grew up with breastfeeding Mommies so that we could learn and be more confident breastfeeding Mommies ourselves! I'm glad she has your support, my extended family has been so negative when it comes to breastfeeding. Thank goodness for my wonderful husband! Keep us posted and good luck!

My LO had/has a hard time latching on and screams/pulls off when we nurse often. It was so terrible at first I was in tears, and ended up supplementing with EBM bottles.

Now he's 3.5 weeks and seriously it is so much better. I experimented around with positions, he prefers football or laying down which were the two that my LC didn't help me with! He still hates cradle/cross cradle but every day we practice them and he's improving.

As the screaming, well I can't exactly say why my baby does it while we feed but he does. I think in his case its because he has to either pass gas, poop, or burp and from what everyone keeps telling me this too will eventually get better. I also learned that he has one cry during nursing that means he wants me to switch him over to the other breast. (I have one that makes more milk and has a harder flow which he prefers!)

Tell your cousin to stick with it and it will certainly get MUCH easier!!!!!
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09