Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Chances of weaning after 1 week seperation

Default Chances of weaning after 1 week seperation

I have a once in a lifetime chance to go on a dream trip without my 20 month old DD for 1 week.

There is definitely no way she can go with me.

IF I do go, she would stay with DH (they're very close). Obviously she wouldn't be able to nurse from him.

DD is in daycare during the week, and doesn't nurse then. She only nurses 3 times a day. When I get home, before she goes to bed, and when she wakes up in the morning.

If I do go on this trip, I would take a pump with me to ensure that I don't lose my supply while I'm gone.

But do you think she will wean herself while I'm gone? She LOVES nursing when we do it, and squeals in delight when she sees me getting ready to nurse.

I would love to be able to go on this trip and resume nursing when we return, but I don't know if that is a realistic goal.

Any ideas?

Default Re: Chances of weaning after 1 week seperation

Congrats on nursing for 20 months! Your goal is totally realistic. I can't give you a specific percentage of what kind of chance you have of your dd resuming nursing, but I can say that the chances are really good.

HTH!

I bet she would resume nursing, you have such a well established nursing relationship. I have a friend who weaned a month and a half ago and he still tries to root. She only breastfed until he was four months, so I bet she would still nurse when you return. Good luck and have a great trip!

I don't know your child, but at 20 months, she probably needs to know what to expect - that you'll be away for several days and then you'll be back, that when you're apart she'll stay with so&so and will do X or Y in order to (go to sleep) (get her milk) (whatever fits for your nursing routine), and that when you come back, she'll be able to nurse again and you'll both be so happy!

That's how I did it. My son was 19 months and I went on a 4 day trip - he stayed w/dad. My son loved to nurse, and really enjoyed it - and although was comfortable taking a bottle when I was not around, rarely did. This was only the 2nd time I had left him - so he was very used to nursing. When I returned, he had one day of struggling and asking to nurse (heartbreaking...but I just comforted him). He would ask and cry a few times after that - I guess for about a week - but it was a surprisingly easy transition. I miss nursing - but this seemed to work for me. Good luck - whatever you decide.