Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can they...

Default Can they...

still remember to nurse after a few days not nursing at 18 months? Dd hasn't nursed in 24 hours, and my mom is keeping her tonight because dh and I remade our dinner reservations and I just got home from dinner and am totally freaking out. Especially since my supply is down and she is disinterested in general the past week or so. I know she won't nurse much tomorrow so it will likely be tomorrow night before she wants to nurse again.

I tell myself I am totally okay with her weaning, but when it comes right down to it, I want to continue! I am not ready for her not to be my baby, even with a new baby coming!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Default Re: Can they...

i don't have any answers for you, erin
    i know i will be upset, too, when it happens to me though!
    Lisa
    Married to my Sugar Daddy
    Mom to Matt (5/14/97)
    James (11/8/06)
    Kelly Anne (3/14/08)
    Paul (3/11/10)

Hugs, Erin, I think I'd be just as frantic and sad in your situation. I've certainly read on these boards about toddlers skipping several days and then resuming nursing, so she may pick up tomorrow night. Maybe she'll want to nurse to reconnect after being away for a night. But I know it's so hard to have your supply dropping like that as she grows up and moves on to other things. This may be just a bump you'll get past, I hope so! But in any case, it's awesome that you've been able to make it this long after all the tough times you've been through. You are a fiercely loving mama, stubborn in the best sense of the word as you have fought the odds to give Haylee the best possible start. So whether you keep nursing for months or let go soon, pat yourself on the back as you think of all you've done, learned, and shared with so many of us here!

p.s. it's also awesome that Haylee is out of diapers already!!!!
    Annie
    Mama to Jeremy Daniel (12/10/2005)

I'm a late cloth convert...and you? :tumbsup

Kate hasn't nursed since April 28th(almost 7 weeks) ....she still knows what they're for and did a little move tonight that surprised me, she pulled my shirt down and kind of acted like she was about to latch on. I don't see an emoticon on here for broken heart!

Anyway, she is still very much my baby, nothing is going to change that, I'm just gonna have two babies real soon.

I'm sure Haylee will hop right back to it with no problem.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

Thanks ladies! I am on my way over to pick her up right now. I have heard about toddlers not nursing for days and then picking back up, but she is just not all that interested, and it happened so fast! I know that our relationship now is so much more than nursing, but its still such a great way to connect, adn to relax, and there isn't much relaxing in Haylee's firey little world.

Christy--was it weird to be done? I think that's a lot of it. I mean, for 18 months I have nursed her...and for 27 months been part of her nutrition. Its a long time, and such a routine, ya know? It just seems like it would be sort of weird not to have that.

And afterall, my whole desire has been to childled. I feel torn, because I have read that leaving the child as a means to wean isn't such a good idea, and I feel like I may have pushed it. Which was not my intention at all, but it may have happened just by chance. Anyway, I will update tonight!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)

Yes, very weird, indeed. I know that if I hadn't become pregnant that we'd still be going strong, probably until she was 4 if I had to guess.

I still have this hole, this little heartache that lingers....if she bumps her head and cries or if she's cranky, I want to comfort nurse her, b/c it really used to do the trick. And there's just something about watching her fill up on my milk. I know in my heart that 16 1/2 mos. of nursing is really good and I try to remind myself of that.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

Well, I am laughing all the way to the bank, so to speak, because Haylee has nursed 3 or 4 times already today, twice to sleep. I worried, completely needlessly, and it is obvious now that it is very important to her. She was easily consoled at my mom's last night, with her sippy of milk and some cuddling/bouncing back to sleep, when she awoke 2x. She slept from 11:30 to 5:00 and was up for the day...Mom said she wonders how we do it everyday! She asked where we were this morning when she woke up and Mom said we were at home, and she was okay with that answer, and was ecstatic to see us when we got there to pick her up. She has been ATTACHED to me today--but I'm totally okay with that. We are doing a find job of reconnecting, and I have all the time in the world to spend with her today, so its all good!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly

Hooray! I'm so happy for you. Relieved. I am going to an out of town conference next month (will be gone most of 5 days), and your post gives me hope that it'll work out for us, too. And it's great that you now know you can potentially leave her comfortably for an overnight.

Hey Erin, that's wonderful! It's nice to know that the most feisty and spirited of them still need mama to connect and nourish them, even (or especially) with a new sibling on the way.
    Annie
    Mama to Jeremy Daniel (12/10/2005)

I'm a late cloth convert...and you? :tumbsup

Yehhaaaw! Must fill your heart to know she's still your baby in there somewhere!
    Mother to Emily June, b. Sept 18, 2005 and Lucy Quinn, b. 1/20/2012

“Buy the ticket, take the ride."
    Hunter S. Thompson

Excitement on the Side: Who doesn't love a confident woman with long boobs...