Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: need help,getting frustrated

Question need help,getting frustrated

Hi,
    My son is 2 1/2 monthes old. We were doing really good w/ the feedings intell he started pulling off. He will nurse for a couple of min. then pull off. He will get back on then a few seconds later pull off again, then fuss. He repeats this for a lil' while. Why is he doing this?? can anyone give me a idea. It is really frustrating. I love nursing him and I would hate to have to give up. O yea i'm new at this so i'm not sure if i'm doing this thread right or not

Default Re: need help,getting frustrated

do you have oald?
    Lisa
    Married to my Sugar Daddy
    Mom to Matt (5/14/97)
    James (11/8/06)
    Kelly Anne (3/14/08)
    Paul (3/11/10)

i'm not to sure what that is

i'm sorry used to talking in code
    over active let down, when the milk comes out too fast and can sometimes cause babes to pull off, as well as choke/gag.
    Lisa
    Mom to Matt (5/14/97)
    James (11/8/06)
    Kelly Anne (3/14/08)
    Paul (3/11/10)

i'm not for sure. He just gets real fussy when he pulls off and when i try to get him back on he will repeat it over and over. i do i know if i do?

http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=106

this thread should show you some helpful threads. maybe help you figure out if that is your problem. are there other symptoms?
    Lisa
    Mom to Matt (5/14/97)
    James (11/8/06)
    Kelly Anne (3/14/08)
    Paul (3/11/10)

it sounds like it could be over active, but sometimes when he pulls off after a couple of times i'll put him on the opposite breast and he will do fine. But i'm not 2 sure if it is over active b/c it says when you are over active , you spray out and can catch it. When he pulls off I've never seen any milk spraying or leaking out.

Welcome MoMmYsLiLAnGeL! I'm glad you have found these boards; it's a great place to ask questions and learn from other breastfeeding mothers.

Your son is 2.5 months old and just recently started showing signs of fussiness while nursing, with frequent pulling off. You've heard about overactive letdown as one possibility. There are many possible reasons for his behavior, so please don't worry if you can't figure this out immediately.

One thought: has your baby had any bottles at all? Your latest post mentions that you see no milk spraying, but that when you switch breasts your son nurses more happily. It's possible that he actually prefers a faster flow (this sometimes happens after a baby drinks from a bottle, which tends to have a faster and much more steady flow of milk -- more food for less work for baby, in other words).

But like I said, this is just one of many possible reasons. This kellymom.com page (not a LLL resource, but something I have often found useful in figuring out the mysteries of infant nursing behavior) helps you walk through a whole range of possible causes for fussiness while nursing. Read it over, take some time to play detective, and see if anything fits with what you are seeing.

were you able to find anything? just wanted to see how you fared....
    Lisa
    Mom to Matt (5/14/97)
    James (11/8/06)
    Kelly Anne (3/14/08)
    Paul (3/11/10)

Hey,
    I'm still researching more on the kellymom website. That site is very helpful. Now i'm just playing a game it feels like to see what could be causing this. Thank you