Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Crying Fits During Feeding

Default Crying Fits During Feeding

Hi,
    I'm new to motherhood and I find bfing so hard and frustrating for both myself and my 3 week old. The first week, I thought we were doing well, despite sore nipples and engorgement pain; he seemed to adjust to it well which was all that mattered to me. But last week, he started having crying fits during feedings. I thought he was just fussy and it would be okay by the next feeding. But it's been a week now and he still has the crying fits during every single feeding.

To be more specific, he latches on for 2 minutes and cries, then latches on for a few more minutes and cries. Sometimes he'll do better after a diaper change or after a burp, but sometimes I've already tried those things and he still cries. Is this normal or what can I do to help him?

Default Re: Crying Fits During Feeding

I'm guessing it's one of the following:

Gas (get the gas drops)
    Thrush (talk to the doc)
    Ear infection (talk to the doc)

I hope that helps.

Is he doing any gulping, coughing, sputtering, etc., after he latches on? It's possible you have OALD/OS and the milk is coming faster than he can handle it. That's just one possibility, but it seems to be a common one. There are a few things you can try to help with that, such as nursing lying down or leaning back so that his throat is higher than your nipple (that way gravity will keep the milk from hitting the back of his throat as much), pumping or expressing a little bit to relieve some of the pressure, block feeding, etc. You might want to visit kellymom.com and look around. There's great info there.

Hang in there. It takes a while to really get the hang of it, and your LO is young. It will get better, promise.
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

Hi melcan We have all been where you are now, bf is hard in the beginning but it does get easier so don't give up. I agree with the PP, your let down might be more than your LO can handle, try expressing some milk before you feed him. When you are feeding him and he starts to cry just let him relax and express some milk and try again. Also try to feed him in just his diaper sometimes skin to skin relaxes them.