Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Me again... Mylicon?

Default Me again... Mylicon?

Hi! It seems like I've monopolized this website in the last 3-4 days, I apologize for keeping on this topic, but I'm so tired and so is my baby after each night of wiggling and writhing himself to sleep. I'm glad you all have helped me consider that his system is immature and probably the cause of his troubles (and not the foods I'm eating).

I finally let him keep going last night and he wiggled and writhed and grunted himself into a full fledged cry. I thought maybe he was just needing to do his thing and could sleep that way, but apparently not. It is really hard to see him in so much discomfort- but also his grunts and groans are SO loud that virtually no one could 'sleep through it" or even learn to sleep through it.

Today I took him to the pediatrician and he said it's ok to give him mylicon but i don't know how often? IT says you can give it to them up to 12 times a day (with each feeding), but I wouldn't want to do that! Does anyone here use Mylicon? If so, how often do you use it? How quickly does it work? Is it something that LLL totally disagrees with? I tried some today at 1pm and it seemed to help him break down gas bubbles and be in less pain, but i don't know when the next time I should use it is.

Thanks!

Wendy

Default Re: Me again... Mylicon?

Hello there, Just glad you are getting some help, keep the questions coming. I used the drops with Justice and they really helped. Also, you can get the off brand drops and they work just as well, I think Equate makes them. I mainly just gave them at night when he seemed more gassy. Usually they would end up being about 4 doses. You have to give at least three doses before they take effect. I gave them to him right after a feeding. Hope this helps your little one. Good luck!

I used Mylicon drops too... in the early evening I gave them to my daughter with each feeding, so once in the early evening, again before bed, and again in the middle of the night with that feeding... I couldn't really tell if they made a difference or not... thankfully she eventually just outgrew her fussiness and gassiness...

I just started using them also cause she has troubles getting burps out right away and she farts alot, so i give them about every feeding.. i think they have helped.

Maya was a gassy baby too. I used Mylicon even tho' our ped said they wouldn't work. Well--I used them in the early evening (her fussiest time) and just before bed. And they did help.

Also--have you tried the colic hold? That ALWAYS worked for our dd--stopped the fussies and brought out the gas.

One other thing--have you tried swaddling your son at bedtime? Maya was very wriggly too, but when we swaddled her she quieted down (usually) and dozed off.
    Last edited by Maya's Mom; April 26th, 2006 at 09:19 AM.

I used Mylicon after each feeding for a while. Our ped says that it is not absorbed by the body and is totally safe. After gassiness subsided (right after I let go of dairy products), there wasn't much use for it.

I've read so many things that say what you eat really has no effect on baby's gas, but I've learned through experience that with my baby, there is a direct relationship between certain foods I eat and her gas...as well as her mood. Turkey or pork=Gas.....and even one cup of coffee=extreme fussiness and a sleepless night.

Her system eventually matured to a point that allowed me to work dairy back into my diet. Now I eat what I want (minus the coffee) and every now and then when she gets gassy, I give her Mylicon after a feeding.

The ped says the sweet taste of Mylicon is enough to make them happy sometimes, and I have noticed that she really enjoys the taste of it.

Good luck and it will get better!
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

I also use Mylicon. I give it to DD if she's overly fussy and seems gassy. At first I was giving it to her at every feeding. Now I only give it to her in the evenings when she seems most fussy/gassy. Though some days I don't have to give it to her at all. Hope the Mylicon helps!!
    Amber
    Mommy to Bridget (12/20/05) and Brady (9/6/07)

Mylicon ROCKS!! My mom said she wished they had it when we were all kids. It is very safe to use, not aborbed into the body and we gave a very FUSSY ds drops after each feeding (every 3 hours). Then once I realized it was things I was eating I omitted those foods and that helped tremendously. DS still gets the drops from time to time when he seems gassy, and I agree with above poster.....the sweet taste makes them happy. I have from time to time given ds a small amount to just get him to calm down!
    I actually just gave him some becasue he was in his crib sleep fussing so I just slipped the dropper into his little mouth and gave him some. He stopped fussing.....

We too used the Mylicon when my baby was a newborn. They worked immediately. Supposedly, it breaks up the gas bubble into little bubbles, making it easier for them to pass them.

Shelia, very interesting about how you used Mylicon to help with the sleep fussing. DD sleep fusses a lot, I may have to try that next time.
    Amber
    Mommy to Bridget (12/20/05) and Brady (9/6/07)