Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 3 week old - fussy- sucking thumb- help!

Default 3 week old - fussy- sucking thumb- help!

Hi-

This is my 2nd child - with my 1st bf was a nightmare- this time so far i am so excited that all is going well.

My problem is that lately there are times when dd wants to constantly bf - and fall asleep only to wake up 10 min. later wanting more. Is she really hungry?? Tonight she stuck her thumb in her mouthafter bfing. I am worried I don't have enough milk for her. Is that possible??? Usually she is content and fine after feeding but these past 2 evenings make me wonder about my supply.

I know a growth spurt probably occurred this past week- and we have tons of wet diapers and some poop ones, but the thumb sucking and the fussiness after feedings have me concerned. Am I over reacting?

Thanks!!
    Lauren

Default Re: 3 week old - fussy- sucking thumb- help!

Hi Lauren, and welcome to the boards.

Don't worry about your milk supply. If it's coming out (diapers), then it's going in just fine. To reassure yourself, keep note of diaper output; 6-8 wets and 2-3 dirties in each 24 hours means that your little one is getting plenty of your delicious milk.

Waking up 10 minutes after nursing and cuing to nurse again is classic growth spurt behavior. And 3 weeks is a classic time for a big growth spurt.

Even if it's not a growth spurt, evening fussiness is very common in small babies, and she's smart enough to have figured out by now that nursing helps her feel better when she's out of sorts.

Keep nursing on cue, watch her diapers to reassure yourself that your milk supply is fine, and ride it out. A lot of mothers find these early weeks of endless nursing a bit easier when they set up a "nursing nest" with all the essentials close by -- food and drink for you, diapers and wipes for her, special toys or coloring books etc. for your older child if he or she needs attention while you nurse, and phone, books, and TV remote control for everyone's sanity ... hang in there -- you're doing GREAT.

Default Re: 3 week old - fussy- sucking thumb- help!

Rebecca-

Thank you!! I am determined to keep on going-
    Your reply really helped and tonight seemed better. I think much of the fussiness in the evening is due to tiredness. I am slowly figuring her out!!

Lauren