Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pain - Possible cracks

Exclamation Pain - Possible cracks

Please advise - My nipples hurt so bad when my 4 week old son latches on and are sometimes still throbbing when he finishes. I noticed tonight that my left breast appears to be cracking and starting to bleed on the top of my nipple. Thankfully I have some milk pumped for him to use at the next feeding b/c I don't think I can handle the pain anymore right now. My LC at my support group checked his latch and said he latches fine but the pain is still there . I use Lansinoh which helps some but next time he feeds it starts over and ends worse than the prior feeding. Any suggestions for me to try . Thanks in advance!!

Default Re: Pain - Possible cracks

Here's a thread I started when I first arrived here:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=23283

Turned out it was thrush of the nipples. I thought it was my LO's latch but since I've been on the antibiotics, and almost cleared up....she infact latches on beautifully

My advice would be to call your OB and get seen RIGHT AWAY....DON'T wait until your 6 week pp check up.

Did you by chance have any antibiotics in the hosp? I did, for 4 days for the strep B. So, I think I developed yeast BEFORE I even left there

I had the same thing as you too....would use the Lan. cream and she would latch fine, then the next feeding, would hurt again.

My LC's advice, until you can be seen by your Dr.
    1. Do NOT keep using the Lan. cream--IF it is thrush/yeast on your nipples, the MOISTURE from the cream only harbors the yeast--makes it thrive

2. You can rinse your nipples off with some mixed water and vinegar(vinegar is very acidic--and aids in drying out your nipples to start to ward of yeast) NO, your LO shouldn't have any reaction to the vinegar on your nipples....it's only a quick rinse.

3. Let your nipples air out as much as possible, AND try to not keep them couped up like in your nursing bra or what not. This kinda sucked for me as I am large breasted....so I had to get a little creative....you know those tank tops with the built in bras? Well, in the bra part, I cut out 2 holes and poked my nipples thru there (she nurses thru them too) and let them air out that way....at work, I pull up the tank part and my nipples don't really touch my shirt at all

This was actually kinda cool, as I just really BF in public the other day and the bra part of the tank top covered everything and no one could see

HTH---sorry for being so long.

Blue
    Last edited by Blue J.E.M.; June 15th, 2007 at 07:31 PM.

How long have your nipples been cracked? Has nursing always been painful?

I just noticed cracking a couple of days ago but the pain has been getting worse and worse each feeding. My nipples continue to hurt after he has finished nursing and seem to hurt longer and longer. I love the idea of breastfeeding but the pain is giving me second thoughts.

hi there! did you establish whether or not it could be thrush?
    here is a link you should check out http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/thrush/index.html
    don't give up, momma! we can try and help you figure out the prob! hang in there!
    Lisa
    Married to my Sugar Daddy
    Mom to Matt (5/14/97)
    James (11/8/06)
    Kelly Anne (3/14/08)
    Paul (3/11/10)

sorry it took so long to get back on - the initial problem was thrush. his pediatrician gave him meds along with diflucan for me. now we are having a new issue - my nipples are very pink, sore, and still cracking. it seems like i can't satisfy him at a feeding and don't have any in reserves anymore b/c i've had to give him the frozen milk with a bottle. what do i do to get over this new hurdle? also, my right breast is sore (kinda like it's bruised internally) - this just started today so i wanted suggestions before it gets worse.

The only advice I can give is what I got...keep bf'ing on both breasts. I've bf'd through the pain (thrush, mastitis, cracked/bloody nip) and came out on the other side. It probably isn't what you want to hear (I know I didn't) but it did work for me.
    Dana
    Wife to Jonathan Edward, 3/29/2002
    Mother of Alexander "Lex" Edward, 3/4/2007
    Attachment Parenting - it's not what you do, it's why you do it.
    Breastfeeding
    Co-Sleeping
    Wearing Lex as often as possible
    Daytime cloth diaperer, nighttime sposie user

i'll definitely try that - it's good to know that there might be a light at the end of the tunnel!

So while you are thinking about maybe not having enough milk, just remember that babies go through growth spurts where they cluster feed; sometimes for hours and hours. Its how they build up your supply; while it may be tempting to supplement during these times, you will adversely effect your own supply if you do that. Count you wet and soiled diapers to get a true idea whether your milk supply is low. A general amount for a well hydrated baby is around 5-6 wet disposable diapers. A 4 week old should have around a minimum of 2-3 poops. As far as the pain goes it might be time to do some pumping. Its important to preserve the integrity of your skin, or no one will benefit.