Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: working fulltime and DD eating a lot at night

Default working fulltime and DD eating a lot at night

I started going back to work a few days ago. Before I went back to work, my DD would sleep 4 and 3 hours at a time at night. Now she is up every 2 hours. She reluctantly takes a bottle during the day. She has to because I am away from her for 9 hours. But only takes 2 bottles. Maybe three but one of them is small. THe other 2 are close to 4oz. I think maybe she is doing all of her eating at night so she doesn't have to eat as much during the day. She is still sleeping and I don't mind being up to feed her that often. I was just wondering if anyone else has gone through this and is it healthy for them.

Default Re: working fulltime and DD eating a lot at night

Oh yes. It happens often enough to have an official name - "reverse cycling". Basically you're hypothesis is correct. Your DD has decided that bottles are ok but she'd much rather drink straight from the tap

My DS went through the same thing. If you're not already co-sleeping you might want to consider giving it a try. The great thing about BFing is that you don't have to wake up completely to do it (according to DH there were times after I'd fallen asleep nursing DS would wake up and just latch himself on without me realizing it!)

She could be having a growth spurt too, but I strongly suspect reverse cycling is the culprit. As long as you're ok with it I wouldn't worry about it.

HTH!

Sabrina
    Mom to Alex: 12/08/04 and still happily nursing

My daughter went through this too but eventually we settled in to a good routine where we nurse right before we leave for work/sitter, she takes three bottles at the sitter, and then we nurse again as soon as we get home... then she nurses a couple more times... now she's to the point where on a good night she only wakes up once at night to nurse but for a long time there she was waking up every three hours like clockwork...

I'm moving this to working for more replies.

Sounds like things are going great, and I wish you the best of luck!

gotta love when they reverse cycle. i used to work nightshift, so reverse cycle was normal, he would co-sleep all day and eat away, then sleep all night while at work. now he is older and doesn't sleep as much during day (except if i am working nights...then dh is up all night with a baby who only wants to play). he has been known to only take 3 oz during a daylight shift (and i work 12 hour shifts) that sent my dear mil into a tantrum (she is antibf) all i heard was "he needs the formula, he won't eat" i almost told her to go ahead, i know he wont take formula, the smell is repulsive, let alone the taste but she would do it just out of spite. but he will stay latched on all night long, i sometimes won't even know until i am getting "beat up" to switch sides when flow gets slow,although, i have caught him trying to sit himself up to get to top breast (almost has done it a few times) it is a all night buffet, as my b-i-l says mammas your walking buffet...lol

The situation you're describing sounds very normal. Babies prefer to get it straight from the tap - the bottle just isn't the same! As long as you're ok with it, things are fine. It means there's less that you have to pump at work!
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

I have a 3 mo old that is doing the same thing- waking every 2 hrs to eat at night, which is killing me. The thing I noticed this weekend is that she doesn't want to even bf during the day. (she only takes 1 3oz bottle while I am at work) Is this normal?

Yes, it sounds normal. Not always the most fun for mom, but babies sometimes prefer this schedule.
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!