Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Constant nursing -- 2 weeks left till work

Default Constant nursing -- 2 weeks left till work

First off, thanks to all the posters who's threads and posts have helped so far. I'm new here as well as a first time mom and this is a great resource.

Now to my Mia and why I need help. She's going to be 6 weeks this Saturday. I seem to hardly ever succeed at getting a break from nursing longer than an hour unless she is sleeping or we are out of the house. It is random and too frequent and I'm worried about her coping with a big and sudden change when I have to go back to work. This has gone on since she was a week old. I try not to let her cry - but have recently started cuddling through the complaining stage to get her to be more serious about eating when it is time. She will not take a paci. If she doesn't get her snack or just get to suck when she feels she needs it she gets really hysterical. I know she's getting plenty to eat as she goes through at least 12 diapers in a day and is gaining and growing well. I have no idea what I'm doing and feel that if I don't make a good effort to get her on some sort of feeding schedule, I'll be making her adjustment to daycare that much more stressful for her (as well as myself).

I wish I was financially able to stay home. This wouldn't be an issue and I wouldn't be weighed down by a big cloud of dread right now. I do enjoy breastfeeding and will continue to do so when I do return to work. I just want to prepare her as well as I can. My Mia and I will be grateful for any suggestions.

Default Re: Constant nursing -- 2 weeks left till work

Hi Gormans,

WELCOME!!!! I've been there and can imagine how you are feeling. At that time my pediatrician actually had the best advice for me. He said... babies are resilient and your lo will be fine and will be able to adjust easily. Basically, I was the one with the bigger adjustment. Your Mia will be ok. It will take a few days for a new routine to develop and for you to get used to pumping and to being away but in time you will both be super. She will enjoy reuniting with you as soon as you come home and you will cherish these moments. I think you are doing great so far - keep up with these boards for support and you will be all set.

Best of luck,
    Caroline

I too wanted to get my lo on some kind of schedule before I returned to work. As we know though, when you're BFing it's usually on demand, not scheduled like bottles. My lo won't take a bottle when I'm gone, she sleeps more and waits for me to get home and then we make up for lost time.

Thanks for the replies! I'm actually hoping that she sleeps more at daycare. I went to check out the provider and found out that she'll have her own room for naps (if she can get her to nap, that is...) as she is the only newborn. I also found out that she takes her for free an hour here and there to get her used to the smell, sights and sounds before she goes regularly. So she'll go once this week and the following week to give me time to get my hair cut and grocery shop. I think I can handle an hour ... maybe. Everyone I know has been telling me it's impossible to get a baby on any schedule different from their own. I'm just going to have to keep that in mind and know that I'll just have to cry like a buffoon when I drop her off for the first time.

We finally did get her to take a bottle of expressed milk so that my husband can feed her the two days a week that she is home with him. It also is a bit more comforting that she won't be learning how to take a bottle at daycare. It took a while to get her to accept it but last week she took 3 from him, which was a load off my mind. Hopefully she accepts them at daycare.