Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Slimy poo

Default Slimy poo

What does it mean if baby's poo is slimy?

Default Re: Slimy poo

Can you give me some more detail? What color is it?
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

yes, I ask the same question, only my baby's is dark yellow.

Sorry, I didn't mention it because sometimes it's yellow or green. For awhile it seemed like every poop, but now it doesn't happen every time. LO is 4 1/2 mos btw.

Hi, I'm not sure if I can help you but my son had a similar problem. I thought it was foremilk-hindmilk imbalance at first because sometimes it was greenish (not bright green, more like brownish-green). I nursed him from just one side per feeding for a few days (per rec of a LC); it seemed to have gotten better, but the improvement didn't last too long and the slime returned.

I posted a similar question on this forum and it got re-directed to the allergy section. I guess I was describing an allergy. I took DS to the doctor and showed them the poo. They weren't TOO worried about it (said it looked normal) but suggested I elimate milk and soy (the most common allergens--but not the only ones). Within a few days, his poo went back to normal (yellow with curds). It has not been slimy since (it's been about 2 months now).

You may want to try not eating milk and/or soy products (if there's a family history of allergies, also avoid those). I heard it can take 2 or more weeks before the allergens are cleared from mom's and baby's system. Also, if your baby is sensitive to these products, you may be able to try re-introducing them in your diet when baby turns 6 months (unless there's a family history of the allergy; you may want to wait longer).

Thanks so much for the post! I've been looking up and down and I think you may be right. I was afraid it was fore/hind milk issue, but wondered about allergies because I just read something about it. Should I just give up milk, butter, choc.,and obvious milk products or do I need to be "hard core"?

I don't know about being "hard core" or not. I think it depends on your baby. I think some women eliminate all the major things and if things improve with baby, they slowly re-introduce items one-by-one and wait a week or longer to see if baby has any adverse reactions. For me, since I knew not eating milk-, soy-, and (I forgot to mention before) chocolate-products worked, I just kept them out of my diet. I think others feel a little sorry for me, but the way I see it is (a) it's just temporary and (b) breastmilk is still so much better for baby than formula.

I just want to add that you may want to let your baby's pediatrician know. They can check for blood in the stool (another sign of an allergy) and offer medical advice. You may also want to post your question in the allergies section where you may get more advice.

I felt discouraged when I didn't know what was causing the slimy stools; I didn't want to hurt his little intestinal system. But, friends supported me by reminding me of breastmilk's healing properties.

Thanks again. Your comment about breastmilk's healing abilities is a comfort. I'm feeling guilty for not looking into it earlier. I had no idea. I really appriciate your post !