Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby does not eat, at all!!!! Help

Default Baby does not eat, at all!!!! Help

Hi ladies, I am really concerned. The last couple of days my little one has been eating poorly. I breastfeed him exclusively. I have good milk supply too. Everything was fine until now. He will be 4 months old in 5 days. Today the whole day he ate maybe for 5 min. total. He is crying horribly when I am trying to feed him. What is wrong? Please any thoughts are highly appreciated. I am really concerned....

Default Re: Baby does not eat, at all!!!! Help

maybe he's teething?
    Stefanie, momma to

deacon james 09.22.06

That could be possible. He has been chewing on everything he can. I just did not think that it could be teething at 4 months.

My son was 4 months old and 3 days when he got 2 teeth!! So it is possible! He could also be teething for the next few months before a tooth pops through. Is there anything else going on? ear pulling? fever?

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

's to you! I have seen some moms post that there lo started teething at 3 months. So, it can happen. It could also be an ear infection. Have you tried different positions? Is he only crying while he BF? Does he pull at his ears?

Loving my Beautiful High Needs Baby Girl born 12/28/06

In addition to teething, and ear infection, check for signs of a sore throat or thrush. I heard somewhere that thrush can be painful to the baby too, and lots of babies won't nurse either if they have a sore throat.

Check out this resource:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/strike.html

Look for any possible signs of pain in baby (teething, thrush, sore throat, ear infection, ect.). Try to nurse him when he is asleep or sleepy. Try nursing in motion.

If baby won't eat, definitely offer milk by alternative methods. Rule #1 (always!) is feed the baby.

Please do post back and let us know how things are going.

Agree 100% with ppl, rule #1 is feed the baby. Have you started counting diapers to keep track of hydration? Tried a bottle or sippy cup?

Hi ladies. Thank you very much for all your thoughts. It has been better. He is eating fine. During the night we have no problems. He eats on both sides and is back to sleep happily. Sometimes during the day he still does not want to eat for maybe 3-4 hours. I am guessing he is just not hungry. Then at some point he gets hungry and eats. Babies, full of joy but there are so many things that we just can't explain. Everyday is something new...But loving every minute of it.