Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: If you are pregnant w/#2 but couldn't bf #1, come in!!

Default If you are pregnant w/#2 but couldn't bf #1, come in!!

I had trouble breastfeeding my 1st baby. I had pre-eclampsia and had to be induced at 37 weeks. I had 48 hours of labor which ended in an emergency C-Section. I feel in my heart that if I didn't have to get induced, my baby would have been late, maybe 40 or 41 weeks until he made his appearance naturally.

Anyway, I really tried to breastfeed. I had help from the RNs and lactation consultants at the UWMC in Seattle, and even a visiting nurse/LC came to my home once I was out. I just didn't make any milk. I had no engorgement, no pain, no drying up, nothing.. my milk NEVER came in!

I tried to bf my son for days and he maybe got some colostrum, but that was it. We then supplemented and used formula and a nipple shield. But he still lost a lot of weight and became jaundiced. I even tried pumping manually every 2 hours for days.. still no milk, I went out and bought a very expensive, high-tech electric pump, it didn't help me either. Finally after weeks of this, and still no milk, and a sickly infant, my pediatrician said I needed to stop trying to breastfeed and start bottle feeding ASAP.
    I was extremely disappointed that I couldn't breastfeed and that my milk never came in. Maybe this was because I was on blood pressure meds (atenolol)? Maybe this was because my baby was NOT ready to come out and he was forced out medically... Maybe it was because I had a C-section? I don't know, I have no breast issues and all my relatives have been able to breast feed just fine. I have no medical problems or diseases, I'm very healthy!

Now, I'm pregnant again with baby #2. My son is 16 months old and I am due on December 7, 2007. My OB says if I stay on medication, I may not get pre-eclampsia and if this pregnancy stays low-risk, he supports me trying for a VBAC. I want to be as natural with this pregnancy and birth as possible. I want to attempt to breastfeed this baby but I am nervous I won't make milk again and will be disappointed and emotionally distraught over not being able to breastfeed again.

What are the chances that, given my history, I will be able to make milk and successfully breastfeed baby #2 this December? Is there anything I can do now to encourage milk production? Are there certain tests or medical issues I should ask my OB about? Do you know of any women with a similar story who was able to successfully bf during subsequent pregnancies?

Thanks!

Default Re: If you are pregnant w/#2 but couldn't bf #1, come in!!

I had a similar situtation, with my first son 6 years ago, I developed pre-eclampsia and was induced at 36 weeks. I gave birth fine, but I never really got the whole bfing thing down and by the time I left the hospital, I had all but gave up. Everyone was telling me I was starving my son since my milk didnt come in, so I gave up.

With my daughter, I knew better, I had went to nursing school and knew that I was not going to starve my lo if my milk didn't come in right away. I was induced with her at 38 weeks due to pre-eclampsia. Well, my milk didn't come in until day 5 and I had to end up supplementing some because of her weight loss. But at 8 weeks old, we got off formula and have been doing great ever since. Now she is almost a year old and we are going strong.

So, it can be done. I was just really determined that I was going to do it. It was hard in the beginning, you always feel like you don't have enough. Just arm yourself with lots of knowlege and support. Starting here is a great place.

Good luck with your lo

Some medications can interfere with milk production, particularly some pre-eclampsia meds. There may be some other ways to counteract that effect, if that's the case. Talk to your doctor about it and have a game plan in place.

I'd also encourage you to get in touch with a local LLL leader now and share your concerns. She can really be your resource when it comes to breastfeeding, and really help you troubleshoot EARLY if the same thing happens to you again.

While I didn't have the same issues as you did, I didn't make it past 7 days with my twins with breastfeeding. When I had a single baby a few years later, I was more determined than ever to make it work, and it did. Every pregnancy, and every baby is different. You will likely have a different experience this time, and your best plan is to do just what you're doing--researching and gathering support beforehand.

Good luck!

I had similar issue with my #1. I develeoped High Blood pressure after delivery, there was no issue during pregnancy. I was taking labetalol for 6 months and my milk supply was very low, Milk did not come in till 7th day and it was very little in the begining, had to pump several times a day to increase it to 2oz per session. I gave up pumping when my DS turned 6 months. Could not make my DS latch except during sleep, it was horrible experience, I have cried so many days thinking about the breastfeeding failure. Expecting #2 in Aug 2007, I am determined to try breastfeeding this time..

Talking Re: If you are pregnant w/#2 but couldn't bf #1, come in!!

I also feel the pain of first time failure...correction, no one who tries breastfeeding is a failure, however, it didn't come as easy as I had hoped and I eventually gave up and regretted it ever since. I am not even expecting, but my son is 9 months old and I am already reading up for the next time I have a baby. I want to space my children about 2 years apart if I can, we are not ready for another one since we will be moving next year. Congrats to all of you expecting!!!! Looking back, one thing that I never was able to do was just relax, I think that may have attributed to the low milk supply. I just couldn't relax enough no matter how hard I tried. I was always worrying about the latch and the length of feedings, the frequency, etc. There were days I felt like all I did was breastfeed and pump and nothing else. I couldn't even get a bathroom break. I had a host of other problems, you name it, I had it! Mastitis, sore/bleeding/cracked nipples, bad latch, etc....but I had lactation consultants and LLL help me and nothing really got us through. Even drank many cups of mother's milk tea and took a variety of herbal supplements, nothing really made a difference. I didn't want to supplement forever since I was going back to work, so I pumped at work for about a month and then quit since we weren't breastfeeding much at night anyway, I would just come home and pump and feed.

I think I am a generally anxious person, so that is my downfall. Like many of you, I am confident of making it work with #2. Good luck to you and if you need any encouragement, I am here!