Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How soon to expect my milk?

Default How soon to expect my milk?

I was wondering if I should expect my milk to come in when I'm in the hospital with a vaginal delivery (48 hours?) or it is totally normal if this happens the third day at home.

Also, should I pump a little while I'm the hospital after the baby nurses just to make sure my milk comes in fast and I don't have to supplement?. That's my fear, that the baby will be hungry while he waits.

Thank you!

Default Re: How soon to expect my milk?

I think it can be up to 5 days before the milk comes in, although you will be producing colostrum sooner than that. It is good to let the baby nurse as much as possible until the milk comes in because the nipple stimulation is what stimulates milk production (it's a supply-demand situation). Babies lose weight after they are born. It's normal. It should normally not be necessary to pump in the hospital. It is also best to avoid introducing any artifical nipples until bfing is well established.
    hth

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

I think it took my milk 4 or 5 days to come in- can't remember exactly, but I know I'd been home a day or two. Your baby shouldn't be hungry while waiting because s/he is getting the colostrum and they have really tiny tummies. You shouldn't need to pump or supplement, just let baby nurse long and often. It will stimulate the milk to come in quicker and also help your uterus to contract and help prevent hemorraging.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Pumping early on (if you don't need to) can lead to oversupply, and while this might not sound like a problem, many moms can tell you it's a pain. Here's a good link about colostum and feeding in the early days. It also includes pictures of marble to show your baby's stomach capacity at different ages. http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/colostrum.html Remember, this is the way things are meant to be. Nurse often, keep your lo close, get help if you have any struggles, and everything will be fine.

I was home a few days before mine came in. Baby did act a little hungry after a few days of just colostrum, but the LC told me this was normal and just to let her nurse as long and as often as she wanted. Your body knows just how much colostrum Baby needs and when to start producing the milk. Just love your LO and keep her close!
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

I agree with the PPs. Your little one will need to nurse as often as possible, but colostrum is all she'll need at first. It's difficult enough in the first few days w/o adding pumping to the mix if you don't even have to.
    ~Brandi~

Loving wife to K
    Proud stepmom to B, and proud mom to J and R-A
    and our newest addition C

Happily homeschooling
    Still and and

Ask me about Parkinson's Disease! Visit me at Life With Shaky!

Mine came in on day 5...we supplemented on days 3 and 4, b/c she was jaundiced and had lost a lot of weight, but I still nursed her 12 times a day FIRST and only supplemented at every other feeding after nursing for those two days.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

Mine came in at 3 days. I became VERY ENGORGED...be sure you know what to do to prevent problems with this. Massage frequently and feed frequently! Hot showers helped tons. Believe it or not, cabbage in my bra actually helped too!

Wow! I never thought the size of an infant 's stomach was THAT small the first few days. I still can't believe that with my daughter they kept telling me that she was hungry when I had already given her a lot of colostrum. I'm so glad I am reading all threads and kellysmom website because the more I read the more I understand how wrong they were at the hospital. Why is that? Why nurses (and even pediatricians!!) give you the wrong information about feeding. It's really sad!

By the way, the more I read, the more I am thinking that might daugther cried not because of hunger but because of need of sucking and cuddling. I spend most of my time pumping and feeding her was a matter of a few minutes with a syringe or other devices that didn't give her the joy of sucking for long periods. The pacifier helped but I remember she still wanted to be in my arms all the time. I was in shock to see how she would notice when I would put her in the bassinet. They know! It's amazing!

I know now what to do. A lot of sucking and a lot of holding. That's what they need.

Thank you so much!

Cristina

Hi critina2007 and welcome, I also agree with the PPs. My milk didn't come in until the 4th day. My LC told me that in the first days all the baby needs is 1/2 a teaspoon of colostrum at every feeding. Bf your baby often and don't forget that women have bf their babies since the start of time, when the was no pump and no formula. So don't stress yourself and enjoy the experience. If you have any other questions, the ladies on this forum have been very helpfull, so don't hesitate to ask.