Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: shooting pains...

Red face shooting pains...

hello. my baby girl is 3 weeks old and i am ebf her. I am feeling lots of shooting pains down my breast is that normal? also there is a time of the day about 3pm that she just want to be on my breast. I have her 15 mns on each breast, burp her, change her and she keeps looking for my boob. I offere her the picifier and she sucks on it like she is still hungry and complaints.. this will go on for like 4 hrs, so i end up feeding her again and again and some times( like every other day) i end up giving her 2 oz of formula. I dont really want to do that and i try my best not to do it but i have 3 other kids who needs time from me and i just want the baby to take a nap so i can take care of the other 3. any adviceS?

Default Re: shooting pains...

The time where she just wants to nurse is called cluster feeding and it's perfectly normal. It's one way the baby keeps your supply up. My lo did that every evening at that age, for hours. It's okay to let her nurse for as long as she wants....however long that is. Some babies like to nurse for an hour or so at a time. Just make yourself comfy with a good book, a snack, the tv remote, whatever and settle in. It does pass, so you won't be doing it forever, but expect to be doing that for the next couple of months or so.

I have two older children as well. I saved any tv watching time they were going to get for the day for the cluster feeding times. We also played games and read stories while I nursed. Some women here have been successful nursing in a sling. With a 3 week old, that's a great possibility. Then you can walk around doing whatever you need to do and nurse at the same time.

Hang in there! It does get easier.

yup she's young yet! She'll still want to nurse pretty much round the clock.
    Do you have any help? Your still recovering form child birth!
    Is your pain like a burning pain? Are your nipples cracked at all?
    That could mean yeast.
    Don't be afraid to call your local leader! Shes around to help.

they do burn a little when the shooting pain starts. it starts when she is not on the breast.

they do burn a little when the shooting pain starts. it starts when she is not on the breast. and they are not cracked...

http://www.lalecheleague.org/llleade...tNov98p91.html
    heres some info about thrush and yeast