Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is it OK to breastfeed if nipple is bleeding??

Default Is it OK to breastfeed if nipple is bleeding??

I've been having problems with cracked nipples. I was breastfeeding this morning and when my baby spat up I noticed a bit of red, and then realised my nipple was bleeding. Is it OK to keep feeding baby??

Default Re: Is it OK to breastfeed if nipple is bleeding??

The lactation consultant I have seen suggested that it is okay to bf with cracked and bleeding nipples. Mine were severely cracked initially and I fed my dd anyway, based on the LC's recommendation. Hopefully a LLL will chime in and confirm!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

The blood won't hurt the baby, so don't worry about that.

But what is causing the cracked nipples?? That must be terribly painful. Anything we can help with?

--Rebecca

have you tried some lanolin hun? get the lansinoh brand (walmart) it's the best!
    Melanie
    Proud Army Wife to James
    Loving Mommy to DS Gavin: March 16, 2006 and DSS Cody: Feb 13, 1998
    Banners/Photos/HC

Funnily enough, it doesn't actually hurt. I've had cracked nipples since I started bfing (bad latch on at the hospital). DD now latches on properly, there is an initial discomfort/pain that subsides v quickly.
    The problem is that she is a v impatient feeder, and that means she latches on a bit too vigorously, that has impeded healing. I use Lanolin after each feed and showers, the nipples are v slowly starting to get better, but after 8 weeks they are still cracked.
    My Ob-gyn was totally unconcerned though, she told me she'd seen far worse! And that the bleeding wasn't a problem, as long as the nipple doesn't get infected.

Interesting....It's great that you aren't having any pain with the cracked/bleeding nipples. Did you or baby have antibiotics during labor or anytime thereafter? Sometimes cracked, bleeding nipples can be a sign of thrush. Normally it would be quite uncomfortable but I suppose many things are possible. You might try treating yourself and baby for thrush for 2 weeks past the disappearance of symptoms to see if that resolves the issue

Good luck!

I had raw open wounds until a couple of weeks ago!
    It is fine for the baby, just not fine for you *sob*
    What helped me heal mine in the end was using hydrogel inserts at night time, breast shells during the day, and avoiding breast pads.
    The nipples still look weird (purple "healed" patches and slightly dented ) but there is a lot less pain! and no blood