Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: tongue thrust at 12mo?

Unhappy tongue thrust at 12mo?

Hi all -
    My 12mo is almost exclusively breastfed. He sticks his tongue out when given purees from a spoon. Now that he can feed himself solids, he is eating more on his own, but still thrusts his tongue when given yogurt or purees. Because of this, he probably only gets 10% of his calories from solids. I don't mind all the breastfeeding at all, but am a little worried about the tonge thrust. Anyone have any information or experience with this sort of behavior?
    Thanks!

Default Re: tongue thrust at 12mo?

Perhaps he just doesn't like purees or yoghurt.
    Have you tried doing child-led solids?

Here are some links:
    http://www.borstvoeding.com/voedseli...uidelines.html
    http://babyledweaning.blogware.com/b...ngerFoodBasics
    Caylen Koen Chew (25/05/06)
    Lost No.2 in Aug 2008 ... Lost No. 3 in May 2009 Hoping for another ... Enjoying No.1

I agree if he will feed himself solids go that route...
    messy but it makes them feal good that they can do it on their own.

I guess we have been doing child led solids - but as a result of his rejection of the spoon. This is my second son, so I'm a lot more laid back about breastfeeding and the introduction of solids. I ended up skipping the whole spoon stage and going straight to finger foods. He does really well with finger foods, apples, crackers, meat, veggies, fruit, etc. But he does seem to like the yogurt and the applesauce - or occasional sorbet (we live in Paris - have to let him try it!). So I don't think it is that. He still pushes the spoon out with his tongue - even when he is trying to eat and clearly wants more. Thanks, though - I'm going to read more about child led solids since the literature is new to me.

It is ok for a child to have a Tongue Thrust swallow until the age of 6. Usually by age 6 the reflex have extinguished. So if a child is still sticking their tongue forward when swallowing at age one it's ok. They are more than likely normally developing in that regard. I am a graduate student in Speech-Language Pathology and have taken pediatric swallowing classes. You might also try a textured spoon if he is tactile defencive to spoons. You might try putting the puree more posteriorly on the tongue (but be careful not to gag him). Try putting a little pressure on the tip of the spoon and dragging it along the tongue a bit (this might make the tongue thrust behavior more prominent in some cases).
    Last edited by Beth_T; March 8th, 2008 at 02:05 PM.