Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How do I wean from pumping?

Question How do I wean from pumping?

I am currently an exclusive pumper for the most part, my son nurses a little everyday, if he FEELS like it.
    I am thinking about what I need to do once I decide to stop pumping. I haven't decided to do it just yet, he's only 6.5 months old but I am just researching. I am able to pump 30 oz per day which is more than I need for feeding my son now that he's eating solids.

Does anyone have any advice for me on how to wean from pumping? Or how can I reduce the amount I obtain from pumping?
    I am prone to plugged ducts and currently pump 3 times/day with a PISA. I have tried reducing the time I pump but I always feel full. I guess I am a little gun-shy since I hate the plugged ducts.

any advice or references/links would be great!

thanks!

Karen
    Mommy to Nathaniel Barry 10/14/05

Default Re: How do I wean from pumping?

You pump only 3x a day, and yeild 10 oz at those 3 pumping sessions? You are wanting to eventually wean from the pump, but want to avoid plugged ducts and mastitis. Is this correct?

Yes, that is correct!

thanks.

Karen

You might initially try shortening your pumping sessions by a minute or so and slowly decreasing from there. If you get uncomfortably full, do pump/hand express just enough for comfort.