Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Not sure what's wrong

Default Not sure what's wrong

Hi there,
    Ever since the moment I started to bf I've been having issues, in the hospital my nipples were so sore I thought I would die. I asked every nurse that came into my room if I was doing it right. They would give me advice and when I thought we had it down, it still wasn't doing anything different. I also requested to see the lactation consultant several times during my two day stay in the hospital. Still, when I got home my nipples were killing me. There were so many times I wanted to give up, but I am still solely breastfeeding.
    I am still having pain, not like at the hospital, thank God, but mainly latch on pain and also pain after feeding her. I have noticed also that my left nipple seems like it may be blistered and often times it is purple/blue when she is done. I'm almost sure she is not latching on right from watching videos and pictures. I tried the cross-cradle hold and I'm super short so my arms just can't manuver her. I also try the sandwhich to get that deep latch, but it just seems that she gets a smaller latch. I try most of the time to relatch her, but there are only far and few between times when we actually get a good latch. I have noticed that Lansinoh helps as well as airing out my nipples but she is going on 4 weeks and I don't know if this can be corrected. Any advice?? I want to continue without being so frustrated.

Thanks for any help.

Default Re: Not sure what's wrong

hi how old is baby?
    The birth den has some cool clips that you can watch..

http://www.thebirthden.com/Newman.html
    the clips are on the right
    don't be afraid to look up your local leader and call her, shes around to help!

I had a rough start, too, because the LC was on vacation while I was in the hospital and most of the nurses were no help. I finally found a nurse who got us started right, but by then the damage had been done. It took AT LEAST 4 weeks and lots of help from my LC for us to nurse without discomfort, but it has gotten easier and easier, and no more pain!

My LLL leader told me that some pain at initial latch-on can be normal, especially early on, but it should go away with let-down, which makes it more tolerable.

I had a large open gash on one breast, and it took longer for that side to heal. I thought it never would, and it was painful for a long time, but it did heal. My LC suggested the little soothing lanolin gel pads, and they really helped. They're discreet and safe for baby. You can cut them into smaller sizes and just apply to sore spots to make them last longer, too. And, of course, Lansinoh helps.

Hang in there. I know it's frustrating. I thought it would never get better and wanted to quit, but it really does get a little better every day, and before you know it you're actually enjoying feeding you LO. It's rough, but you CAN do it!
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

Hi Averys mom,
    Welcome to the boards. I sure hope that you feel as welcome here as I did!
    Congrats on your new little one, a sweet baby girl, how fun!!!
    You mentioned that you were having some pain. Pain in breastfeeding is not normal, it should really never hurt. Now some tenderness is normal, most of us have never had our nipples used like this before.
    Using the lanolin and airing out your nipples are a great thing. Make sure that you use it ever time that you nurse her. Also, if you are using breast pads make sure that you are changing them every time, sometimes when you leave one in thrush can grow when you have a dark, warm, and moist environment.
    You are not having any shooting pains in your breast are you?
    My last suggestion would be to find a local la leche league group near you, I think that you would find loads of support amongst other moms who are down in the trenches with you! Please let us know how we can help you!
    LLL Brittan-

If it's any comfort to you it DOES get better. We are going on 3 mo. and the nipple soreness that I thought would be forever is finally gone. She and I can latch with both our eyes closed, it's second nature now. Hang in there, keep working closely with a LC. Do you have a BF support group in your area?

I also suggest you see a LC. Find out if your hospital also sponsors weekly/monthly breastfeeding support groups. It helps to be surrounded with experienced BF mamas.

Gabe and Jacob's Nanay

Gabe born on September 07, 2004

Jacob born on May 29, 2007

I'd also suggest seeing a LC. I was in a similar position with my first LO. My nipples were so sore and I applied the lanolin cream all the time. The LC told me that if your nipples are hurting, something is wrong. We went through a consulatation session and she provided a list of tips. Apparently, my LO was not latching on right. She wasn't geting enough of the breast in her mouth. It was enough to get milk out, but was mainly just getting my nipple instead of the whole areola, which resulted in nipple pain. After working on changes to the latch, the pain went away. It was great to experience BF without pain. Good luck!

Hell Averys mom,
    Aslo be sure that when you need to break her latch that you are putting your finger in the corner of her mouth to break suction before pulling her off. If you don't do this, you can traumatize your nipple! Aslo, I wanted to mention that my LC in the hospital recommendid Lanolin for soreness,and Soothies (you can find them at a drug store like Walgreens or similar). Good luck. Hang in there!

(repeat post) removed
    Last edited by dorothy; June 15th, 2007 at 02:33 PM.
    Caylen Koen Chew (25/05/06)
    Lost No.2 in Aug 2008 ... Lost No. 3 in May 2009 Hoping for another ... Enjoying No.1

Hi Avery's mum!
    Congrats on your newborn, and welcome to the boards!
    Wow, you are one determined mummy. Kudos to you for hanging on despite the pain. Breastfeeding is going to give your baby a great headstart, and it's really great that you are determined to carry on.

When I started breastfeeding, my nipples were so sore it hurt to wear clothes even though my midwife told me our latch was perfect! I cringed and cried every time I fed my baby. After 6 weeks, the pain wore off. Meanwhile, I used A LOT of Lansinoh after each feed and also aired my nipples as much as I could.

So hang in there, it does get better and you will enjoy breastfeeding your little one.
    Caylen Koen Chew (25/05/06)
    Lost No.2 in Aug 2008 ... Lost No. 3 in May 2009 Hoping for another ... Enjoying No.1