Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Thrush

Default Thrush

My dd is just about 6 weeks old. We both had thrush and started meds last weds. well both our symptoms are gone and (still on meds though) and were wondering when I can start pumping? I need to give her EBM in 9 days and I don't want to give her yeasty EBM.

Also last night she sleep for 5 1/2 hours is that to long?

thanks

Default Re: Thrush

That's wonderful that you are feeling better already!!!

Ususally, you have to stay on meds for a little while after you feel better to kill off the last of the yeast, just like antibiotics always say "please finish all med even if you feel better." For dd, they told me that we needed 3 symptom-free days. For ds, the sources I read said 1-2 symtom-free weeks! So, I would say to postpone as long as you dare, but I know that's easier said than done. Have you pumped any yet, or introduced a bottle before?

When I was working and dd came down with it, I was told that I could still pump daily for her, but to try and use the most recent milk possible, generally trying to stick with what I had refrigerated in the last 24 hrs. That way, what she was getting was not any significantly more yeasty than what she got at the breast. She had a very resistant case, so we actually threw out all the bottle nipples weekly. I'm not sure that's necessary for everyone, but it just kept coming back and back for us, so we tried every suggestion I could find for preventing reinfection. So, when ds had it, I avoided my pump, but if you can't avoid it, just boil really well and eat lots of yogurt and very little sugar so that your immune system has a better chance of preventing reoccurance.
    Last edited by Quiteria; April 25th, 2006 at 09:17 AM. Reason: typos

Default Re: Thrush

Wish I didn't have to pump but it is a must I have to take my Nursing Entrance Exam next week and its the last date they have for 6 months!! We just introduced the bottle recently and she has done great. She very rarely has one and I have never or never will give her a bottle. But I have to take this test and its 4 hours long plus driving time so she will need atleast two bottles!! I already have one frozen so maybe I will just pump a few days before hand. Thanks for the advice!