Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 20 Minutes per side... really?

Default 20 Minutes per side... really?

When I had my dd (almost 5 years ago) I was told she should nurse 15-20 mins. per side. Well, I don't think she ever had a 40 minute nursing session in the 14 months that I nursed her. She would sometimes do only 5 mins per side. Now, my ds (4 weeks) is a similar nurser. He averages 7-10 mins per side. He is gaining well, and has too-many-to-count wet diapers per day and 1-2, sometimes 3, bms per day. Anway, I am just wondering if anyone else has a fast nurser. Also, should LCs in hospitals mention that some babies don't do 20 mins per side?

Default Re: 20 Minutes per side... really?

hi there! not all babies nurse 20 min per side. my lo does anywhere from 5 mins. to 15 a side. they are all different. hth
    Lisa
    Married to my Sugar Daddy
    Mom to Matt (5/14/97)
    James (11/8/06)
    Kelly Anne (3/14/08)
    Paul (3/11/10)

DD rarely nurses more than 5-10 min. When she does I savor it! As long as the output is good the input must be good! I think the LCs at the hospital want 20 min/side because they want to make sure you get enough stimulation to start making a good supply of milk. I have read that by 3-4 mos babies are more efficient nursers and many don't nurse longer than 10 min.

Thanks! I was so nervous with my daughter's quick sessions. I was constantly watching the clock. I am determined not to do that with my son. He's done when he's done.

My lo also is a fast and one-sided nurser. She only does at best 10 minutes (usually more like 5-7 minutes) and it's never on more than one breast. I guess the important thing is the weight gain and the outputs (dirty and wet diapers). She gained 3.5 pounds between her 2 week appt and her 6 week appt. And she's a pooping machine!!

Every baby is different, so the X minutes per side recommendations can't be applied to every baby. It's so confusing because some places say 5-10 minutes per breast, others 20 minutes per breast. Still other places say it's ok to nurse one breast per feeding. It's always better to let your baby be your guide. Your baby knows how long they should eat and if they want both breasts or not, and if they are growing and meeting milestones then the nursing pattern they choose is perfectly normal and right for them.
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Gandhi

Ditto here
    Proud Mommy to Michael who is 3 now! Michael was nurseynursed for 2 years!!
    I did not make up this persona, but if I did, I would make myself 50 pounds lighter and 5 years younger!!!!

it initially "timed" the feeding but now i just go on whether he is finishor not. If he let's go, then he's finish. I would then burp him and if he still roots, that's my cue he wants more, then i offer the other side. Looking at the clock is toomuch of a pressure for me. I guess thereason why they say about timing it is because of stimulation purposes and to help us get started. then once we know our baby's routine then we can do our own timing.

Gabe and Jacob's Nanay

Gabe born on September 07, 2004

Jacob born on May 29, 2007

My baby also only eats for about 10 min, and usually doesn't want the second side. I have a very heavy flow of milk so I think he gets a lot in one sitting. One thing to consider is that you want to make sure the baby is getting lots of the creamy hind milk---switching sides too soon could possibly result in her only getting lots of foremilk, which can be upsetting to the little stomach! What color are his stools? If yellow, then you know she's growing!

I also was wondering the same thing...I have a 3 week old and she nurses anywheres from 7-25 minutes. Rarely the 25 minutes--I think those are mostly just sucking for comfort after the feeding. I am sooo glad that it is okay to have shorter feedings and not have to have 20 minute ones. She also feeds just on one side usually but I also have a very fast letdown and she gulps alot down right away. Madison goes thru sooo many wet & dirty diapers in a day that after 8 I quit counting...My sister gave me a great idea take 8 diapers out and if they go thru those plus some in 24 hrs then they are doing great!! I hope she has gained more weight for her 4 week check up next week! AGAIN thanks for reassuring me also!