Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Hot flashes

Default Hot flashes

This may be a strange question but ever since I had my son I have been having hot flashes and sweating like crazy. It is so embarrassing to be sweating like this. It happens all the time but especially when the baby is fussing. I don't remember this with my first son. Could it have something to do with the hormones that are still crazy due to nursing? Thanks in advance for any input!

Default Re: Hot flashes

I got hot flashes the first 3 weeks, especially when I started to nurse. I believe it's normal (all due to the wonderful hormones ). Hot flashes will go away... but I'm still very thirsty during nursing (DS is 8 weeks now)

how long has it been since you gave birth?? As far as I know, it is very normal. You no longer have the hormones of pregnancy (or the placenta) so the sudden drop in hormones in your body causes the hot flashes. also if you had any 'water' weight or swelling, your sweating is helping to get rid of all the excess fluid you maintained while pregnant. I dont know if all of this is 100% fact, but its just what I've picked up here and there, and from what my own friends told me when I was going through the same thing! This too shall pass, just another lovely side affect of giving birth!!

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

I had them off and on for a few months after having DS #1. I asked a friend who had nursed nine babies because I wondered if I was experiencing early menopause, and she said it was normal.

Haven't had the same effect this time around. Hormones!
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

i have hot flashes too! and its usually before i nurse or when DS wakes up to nurse. it's an uncomfortable hot feeling. i also didn't feel like this when i had DS#1. i hope it would be over soon.

Gabe and Jacob's Nanay

Gabe born on September 07, 2004

Jacob born on May 29, 2007

Sounds normal to me. I had hot flashes and lots of sweating after DS was born. I don't remember how long, but it eventually went away.

how old is baby?
    did you have an iv... that extra fluid takes a while to go away!
    and if you got 2 or 3 bags of iv like after c-section it can take up to 6 weeks to get rid of it.

Thanks for the replies. My son is 9 weeks old so hopefully the hot flashes will be subsiding soon! Gotta love those hormones!!

I am so glad you brought this up! My husband has been on me since I gave birth for turning the air down so low and I keep trying to tell him I am having hot flashes! I am glad I can point to an actual reason for this!