Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Returning to work in 1 week - bottle refusal

Default Returning to work in 1 week - bottle refusal

Hello my little one is almost 3 months and I am returning to work in 1 week, he is on a bottle strike, I bought every bottle in the store to try to see what he liked best and nothing seems to work. I introduced the bottle to him around 3/4 weeks of age and he was doing ok with the Playtex ventair but now he won't even take that?? I am stressing out?? Not only is he on this bottle strike but now I think my pump is not working properly. I feel that the suction is low and not as strong as before (this is the same pump I used about 3 years ago for my other little one). HELP!!! What should I do about my two situations??

1. REFUSES THE BOTTLE
    2. BREAST PUMP NOT HAVING GOOD SUCTION. (I use the Medela PIS)

Default Re: Returning to work in 1 week - bottle refusal

Hi,

Congratulations on your little one! I hope other people can chime in about the bottle refusal. I know I've seen something here, and I'll try to look it up later.

Your PIS could be wearing out--I read they are good for about 100 hours. That seems like a lifetime of pumping to me so I imagine it is something else. It might be worth doublechecking that all of the parts are connected well (especially that yellow bit to the horn part, I once had that loose and didn't have any suction) and replacing or re-attaching the white membrane.

Good luck! Going back to work can be hard--take it easy on yourself that first week. Post in the working forum if you need support. There are a lot of super working moms there.

someone else had a similar concern about the bottle refusal. have you had another family member try to give a bottle?

have your DH or other person give the bottle and make sure you're no where to be seen or heard. my DD refused bottles from me and wouldn't take them if she knew I was in the room.

as for your pump--a Lactation consultant can probably check it out to see about the suction. Mine also wore down...and I rented a hospital grade one to get me through.

I can't help with the pump situation but I can empathize with the bottle issue.

I was in the same situation as you six months ago. We started a practice bottle at 5 weeks but by 8 weeks dd would have nothing to do with it. Time was the only thing that solved this problem. I started back to work part time when DD was 3.5 months. I did this schedule for three months. During this time, the patient caregivers at our daycare center tried tried to give the bottle and Maya would only drink a few ounces each day. It drove me to frustration and tears every night when I read her infant report. This continued until I went back to work full time. After just one week in FT daycare, dd started taking 3-4 bottles a day. I don't think she ever really learned to love the bottle, but just took it out of necessity; something I still feel sad about. Whenever she isn't in daycare I exclusively breastfeed her.

I've heard some babies never take to the bottle. But here are other methods of feeding
    (see http://www.babycenter.com/refcap/bab...eding/473.html ). Also some babies reverse cycle, feeding more at night to make-up for what they didn''t get during the day.

Going back to work after having a baby is super tough. Your emotions are pulled in every direction. So try not to worry too much about the bottle refusal. Things always have a way of working out. Before you know it, your baby will be ready for solids and this will curb his appetite while you are away.

BTW--I probably have the same collection of "experimental" bottles you do. Out of desperation I even paid $20 for a bottle shaped like a breast (DID NOT work!!)

Take care

For the pump, call 1=800-TELLYOU and talk to a Medela consultant directly. If you purchased the pump from an IBCLC, she may know how to troubleshoot your model, as well.

As for the bottle refusal, perhaps try some of the suggestions found here:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/bottle.html

MY DD had a bottle introduced at 4 weeks and did ok with Avent brand until one day she just refused to take it anymore. I paniced and bought a bunch of different bottles to try and ended up with the BreastFlow bottles. They are great. She can suck in almost the same way as the breast. A much easier transition. I got them from Babies R us. I haven't seen them anywhere else.

My ds stopped taking a bottle at about 3.5 months, after previously doing fine on the Avent nipples (I think I wasn't giving him a bottle frequently enough to keep it up). It was awful as I had to give several talks at a conference and he screamed in my partner's arms for several hours until I rushed back to the hotel room. That was about a month ago. Since then, we've been trying hard to get him to take a bottle, since I have several projects I need to work on at home even on maternity leave and I just wasn't find mental space to do it with all of the breastfeeding. He rejected all of the Avent and Playtex nipples, but we just tried Dr. Browns bottle (number 2 nipple), and it seems to be working! After a couple of slow starts last week, he took 3.5 ozs today when I went to the library for several hours to try to finish a project. He reportedly even lunged for the nipple. I think it's important to try to feed the baby when he's still relatively calm, before he gets too wound up and desperate for mom's warm comforting breast.

Can't help with the PIS, I use the Avent Isis hand pump.

Good luck, I know this is stressful!

Annie

My dd had the same problem. It took about a month for her to go from 3 1.5-2 oz bottles 3x/day at daycare to 3 3-4 oz bottles. Your baby will take what he/she needs, you may just have to deal with reverse cycling for awhile. I still nurse her 3 times between 6pm and 8pm, then usually once during the night (if she doesn't sleep through - about half the time), then once in the morning. I think dd is getting about 26 oz/day on average, which is fine for her age (5 mos). In a month, I'll start solids and hope for more sleepy nights.