Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Habit

Default Habit

My daughter will nurse to sleep at around 9:00pm for about 30 minutes and she is back up at 3am nursing again. Every night I can count on her getting up at 3am to eat, my mom said its a habit. It seems likes ALL DAY long she will nurse, she nursed for hours today, comfort and actually eating. Yes, we are still hanging in there by a thread. From 9am-1pm she nursed and when i'd take her off she'd get mad until I put her back on.
    Has she gotten into the habit of awakening up every night at 3am? What do I do about this hours of nursing?
    She doesn't entertain herself long at all either, maybe for 30 minutes max she can entertain herself and it is either back on the boob or I play with her. She is one of them babies that demand constant attention but so do my other 2 kids. She is 5 months old.

Default Re: Habit

Well the first thing that I thought of was can you get a sling & wear her?? THats what I would suggest. I mean frankly, 30 minutes is a long to time to 'entertain' herself @ 5 mo. KWIM? I would say if you can wear her more you might be better able to interact with the older kiddos as well as keep her satisfied as she's in a very interested stage right now!!

As for the night nursing... from 9-3 w/o a session I would think is pretty darned good. IIRC that would be considered sleeping though the night ,as "they" define that as a 5-6 hour stretch. SO I Say if she wont go back to sleep with a little comforting, then she has a need to nurse (then again I co sleep and we nurse on an off from midnight on.)

Maybe she's teething and thats why she nursed a lot today...

GL
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

The 3 am feeding is probably normal. My DD was getting up between 2 and 4 in the morning to nurse until about a week ago. My DD is 7 months.

My DD is 4.5 months old and gets up between 2 and 4 am after eating at 10pm each night. I think it is considered a "habit" if they are waking at the same time every night (like always between 3 and 3:15), will your LO take a pacifier? One thing you might try is to offer the pacifier and see if that gets her back to sleep, then you would know she wasn't really hungry, just wanting to suck...if the paci doesn't work then she is really hungry and needs to eat....good luck!

Thank you all!! She will not take a pacifier, she hates them. She hates slings and front carriers as well. She will go right back to sleep when she gets up at 3am but it is every single night 3am comes she is up. I start leaking really bad around that time, so maybe she smells the milk and wants it?
    I know she is teething for sure, I am being used as a teething ring lately.

My 8 month old still gets up once in the night to nurse. It might be a habit, but that doesn't make it a bad habit. Does it bother you to do it?

I have wondered the same thing about whether DD smells the milk! My DD will not sleep anywhere but in bed with me and DH. It seems like the nights that she is on DH's side of the bed she sleeps longer. But, when she is next to me she wakes and wants to nurse. I suggested to my DH that maybe she smelled the milk and it made her hungry!