Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: CT scan & nursing

Default CT scan & nursing

I had a CT scan today and was instructed not to nurse for 48 hours. However, I have done some research and current studies suggest it is acceptable (0.04% excretion) to nurse; no need to pump and dump. Does anyone have any advise/knowledge in this area? It breaks my heart having my ds cry (w/ tears ) while he waits for me to get his bottle ready.

Also, it worries me that I just might like giving him a bottle and decide to stop bfing. I have wanted to quit tooooo may times in the whole 16 weeks we have been a team.

Looking for answers,
    Di

Default Re: CT scan & nursing

I had a CT scan right after dd was born too and they never suggested I shouldn't nurse following it. I am not sure why they would???? Did they say why? I am really curious to know what would be excreted into breastmilk from a CT scan.

And don't give up!!! I know its frustrating--I have been in your shoes. Its ups and downs and ups and downs. What a rollercoaster ride. No wonder people give up and go to the bottle!!! I often wonder how they managed before bottles. But just when I am ready to give it up it gets better again, and the ups are soooo wonderful!

I really hope to hear more on the CT scan!!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

I think it is the radiation they are concerned about. CT scans do give you a much higher dose than a regular x-ray does. I really don't know much about the effect of it on BFing, but when I had one done about a year ago they didn't even ask me if I was breastfeeding, they gave me no after-care instructions at all. So maybe they are just being extra safe? Personally, I wouldn't take the risk, since they did tell you that, or at the very least, supplement half the time.

I had a CT Scan as well after DD was born and the radiologist doing it said to wait 48 hours, but the Dr. warned me he would say that and instructed me to only pump and dump once the not worry about it. He even said that he wanted me to do that once, just to alleviate any concerns I would have. I later looked it up in the Hales book and it said that it was fine to just nurse immediately.

GL

I think you've received your answer already but here's something else, just in case you need more: http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/radioisotopes.html (not a LLL resource).

HTH!

Did you get any IV contrast agent when you had this scan?? That would be the only other reason imaginable for the 48 hours bit. If you didn't, though, all of the above info covers you!

I empathize with you. When DS was about 5 months old, I was exposed to some nasty chemicals at work (due to someone being downright idiotic) and had to pump and dump for 36 hours to be on the safe side. Oh! It was heartbreaking indeed! Hang in there....

Jsmom

You can still nurse immediately even after IV contrast. As long as they did not use any sort of radioactive dye, there is no reason to pump and dump. I had IV contrast about 1.5 months ago, nursed immediately after...with the jaw drops of the nurses!