Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: baby got throat infection - Herpangina

Default baby got throat infection - Herpangina

Hi ,
    My 3 month old DD was ebf.But suddenly she started pulling away from breast.After a week of fighting I found her weight reduced and took her to ped.He examined her and told she has throat infection virus names Herpangina.Since she is BF is it something I gave her ?Does anybody else faced similar problem and how long it will take them to come back to breast ?

Thanks
    Mangai

Default Re: baby got throat infection - Herpangina

Mangai -- I had never heard of herpangina, so I just googled it. It's one strain of Coxsackie virus, which is common in small children. I doubt there's any way to know for sure how she picked it up, as it is such a common virus. I've only heard about it in toddlers and preschoolers, though, so I'm not sure what to tell you about the impact on nursing an EBF 3mo.

I would imagine the most important thing while she fights off this virus is to keep her hydrated and nourished, in whatever way works. I'm sure the immunities in your breastmilk will be helpful, so do what it takes to get breastmilk into her. If you are having problems keeping her hydrated, call her doctor immediately. What instructions did he give you about caring for her during this illness?

I would also think that a chat with a lactation consultant or LLL Leader would be a good thing, so they can help you assess how this is impacting your breastfeeding relationship and help guide you into getting baby back onto the breast in the most effective way.

Let us know how you guys are doing -- I'm sure you'll get through this, as breastfeeding was well established before she got sick.

--Rebecca

Oh, your poor little one! My son experienced a bout with this virus, but he was already eating solids. He refused to eat and only nursed because it hurt his throat so badly. This is likely why she won't nurse....it hurts to swallow! I agree with the pp that a phone call to your local LLL Leader will be a tremendous help getting through this illness.
    Tanya, LLL Leader and Mama to three wonderful kids

Thanks for the reply.Can you tell me how long it took for your son to get cured .My Pedi said it would be there for couple of days.But I have given her tylenol for almost a week and no effect.

Thanks
    Mangai

Hmm...It's been quite a while. I think it got better within a few days, but the virus' symptoms were still there for a bit. I'm trying to remember what treatment was recommended at the time. Some viral infections turn bacterial, so if you don't see improvement, then definitely go back for a recheck. Also, the inflammation and discomfort with nursing may turn into a nursing strike after healing. Some, but not all babies react to illnesses like this with striking. Even if she doesn't go completely on strike, some of the techniques on getting a baby back to the breast may be very helpful in your situation. I'll paste a couple of links below.

http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBstrikes.html

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html

Have you tried offering the breast while she's asleep? Some babies will latch right on in their sleep. Also, try to incorporate as much skin-to-skin contact as possible during the day. It might involve you and baby going shirtless, but the extra contact helps stimulate thier instinct to nurse. Bathing together works very well for this as well. Many babies love nursing in the warm water whether they are on strike or not! Keep us posted on her progress!
    Tanya, LLL Leader and Mama to three wonderful kids