Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby Led Solids and pumping

Question Baby Led Solids and pumping

Okay, I think I'm a little confused about the baby led solids thing. My baby is breastfed while I'm at home, but during the day he takes EBM with a bottle. Can I still do BLS? If so, how do I incorporate the EBM bottles? Should he bottle fed before offering solids? I really just need some clarification...Any help would be wonderful!!!!!

Angela

Default Re: Baby Led Solids and pumping

I'm not sure if there are any rules (i tend to think not because it's called baby-led, and since every baby is different, there can't really be rules...) However, we tried both and did it differently each time. When DS was young, we would give him EBM or nurse him first and then offer solids. This was so that he wasn't upset and hungry when we made those attempts. Later, probably around 10 months or so, we did it the opposite way, giving the solids first, so that he would get more of them and understand that solids, too, were a way to satisfy hunger. Like anything else, try it out a few different ways and see what you/LO like. There's no right or wrong way to do anything baby-led.

My DS is currently 10.5 mo old. He's in day care and we're doing baby led solids. I started offering solids soon after DS turned 6 mo. We'd mostly do solids on the weekends. I waited to send solids with DS to day care until I knew that he was "good" with that food - both self feeding and no reaction to the food. I think that DS first started getting solids at day care when he was about 9.5 mo. My day care providers think I'm a little nuts for skipping purees, but have been impressed with both how well DS feeds himself and the variety of foods he eats. I got a bunch of small (like 1/2 cup sized) food storage containers and send in an assortment of foods that I know that DS likes. I've been leaving it up to the day care providers when they want to offer food to DS and give him bottles. They typically offer him food late morning & early afternoon. They've experimented with the timing of solids related to bottles and I'm ok with that. At this point, whether or not DS eats solids at day care is a bit unpredictable (but he always finishes his watermelon!) and he is not taking less EBM in bottles.

I hope this helps a little!

Lynn
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Thank you both very much! My DS stays with family and sometimes I think they give him too much milk- because he takes a pacifier when he's sleepy and they don't want to give him a pacifier so instead they just give him a bottle, so I guess that's why I'm so concerned with it. I think maybe we'll just start out with evenings and weekends at first. Thanks a bunch!!!

It is ok for a child to have a Tongue Thrust swallow until the age of 6. Usually by age 6 the reflex have extinguished. So if a child is still sticking their tongue forward when swallowing at age one it's ok. They are more thank likely normally developing in that regard. I am a graduate student in Speech-Language Pathology and have taken pediatric swallowing classes.