Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Making It Through the Day

Default Making It Through the Day

How do you make it through a long day at home with a newborn? I feel like I'm living in several hour increments (or less), from one feeding to the next, which makes the day disappear so fast. But at the same time, I'm getting bored. I'm watching TV, reading, online ... Sometimes I will go for a walk, go shopping, visit friends/family, but that can be such a hassle to get baby packed up to go. What do others of you do during the day, especially activities with a baby who is too young to play with toys/read books/etc. yet, to keep from going stir crazy?
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

Default Re: Making It Through the Day

Oh dear, it sounds like I am talking to myself a few months ago. My DS is now 12 months and I remember feeling exactly like that in the first few months after he was born. I would profit from taking some extra naps and recovering from pregnancy. After that, I tried to get out as much as I could- going to visit with family, walking the mall (which can be more dangerous than it's worth if you're a frequent spender and nonchalante shopper like me)...maybe you could join a mom & baby group to occupy the time a little. A friend of mine decided to volutneer at a nursing home and take her daughter to visit the elderly people- she said it was therapeutic for the residents and for her alike. I know that's not everyone's "cup of tea" but maybe it would suit you.
    HTH
    Good luck. It gets better- they are more fun and interactive in just a few months! And then you'll wish they would just lay still!

Smile Re: Making It Through the Day

I watched lots of movies and used the computer. That's why I'm pretty much addicted now.

Enjoy it while you can. It will be over before you know it. You may never see TV again!

I agree with the prior post...when my six-month-old son was brand new, I enrolled us in a Mothers & Infants Yoga Class to just get us out of the house and also to help me recover from pregnancy. Also, many libraries have mothers & babies story hours and you might want to see if there are any new mothers' support groups in your area.

I so wish I could take naps. Little stinker is going through a phase of boycotting naps longer than 20 minutes or so. Doesn't give me much nap time, which is part of my problem, I think. I'm so tired that I'm not having very much fun with this right now. Which makes me feel like a terrible mama.

I know everyone goes through this more or less, and I know it should get better. Sometimes it's just hard waiting for improvement--and I don't want to spend so much time waiting for the next phase that I miss the precious moments of now, because I know I'll never have them again. Argh!

Thanks for the support.

Do you have thank you notes to write? Or could you keep a journal, maybe? Perhaps you could write some letters to your daughter that she can read someday? I found that I was always in a crisis of trying to get clothes folded, diapers changed, etc etc... all of that time was a blur, and Aaron didn't nap long either. This website helped me a lot, too. I actually read to Aaron a lot even though he was a newborn, he seemed to enjoy just hearing my voice. Not sure if that helps you, but like PP's said, it won't be long. Hang in there, mama!

Quote Originally Posted by Haley's Mama View Post
    I so wish I could take naps. Little stinker is going through a phase of boycotting naps longer than 20 minutes or so. Doesn't give me much nap time, which is part of my problem, I think. I'm so tired that I'm not having very much fun with this right now. Which makes me feel like a terrible mama.
    Awww - you are not a terrible mama at all! I was similar when my LO was small. I am just not used to watching so much TV and I really felt quite bored. But when I wanted to sleep she was awake, and vice versa, so I got really tired too.

In the end there were three things that saved me. First was buying a sling, and learning to nurse in it. Then I could do things around the house or get out and about really easily. I use it to take her to yoga, baby massage class, and just for walks. My LO absolutely loves it, and it was definately the best baby related purchase I have made!

The second thing was learning to nurse lying down. When I am really tired I can just put some quiet music on, lie on the bed with her, and doze while she feeds. I couldn't do it until she was about 10 weeks old, but I am really glad I got the hang of it in the end.

And the last thing was the fact that she suddenly started to grow and change, and at some point she just became so much fun! Now just a few weeks on, she is so curious about everything that is going on around her, and also able to amuse herself for a while which lets me get some work done, or just have a quiet sit down! The older she gets the better she sleeps too. She still powernaps during the day, but is much better at night which makes me feel more sane.

I guess I just wanted to let you know that it really does get easier.

Thank you, thank you, all of you. I will return to this post and read it over and over and over ... I hope when I get a little more experience under my belt I'll be able to offer the same support to other new mamas.