Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thinking of quitting, please help

Default Re: Thinking of quitting, please help

I hope you have a great visit with your LC! I know that you can do this! It's not always easy, but it's soo rewarding!!
    Best wishes!

You might find this webpage helpful:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/flat.html

How did it go at the IBCLC's?

Thank you! The visit with the lc went well- except that I paid $75 to hear what I already thought was happening anyway. Oh well. Basically she said that because he is still so small, because he was born early and his sucking reflex doesn't fully kick in until 40weeks, and because he has a high palate...the problems I'm having (mainly with him pinching me when he sucks) will correct themselves as he grows bigger. She was able to get him to latch on and nurse without pinching me but said that was mostly because there were two of us doing it. For now she has me using a nipple shield to start off each feeding, then pumping a few times a day to keep my supply up b/c the shield can make it go down.
    Things have been much better the past few days. I think it just got to be overwhelming facing the same struggle every two hours and having this huge responsibility (my baby's nourishment) on my shoulders. It was good to hear from a professional that things are going ok and that he should be better at latching on in a few weeks. She also recommended something called "Newman's Nipple Cream" which is a cream like lanolin but has anti-bacterial and ingredients to fight yeast infections in it.

Thanks so much for all of your advice and support. It really helped me feel better!

Hang in there, it will get better! My nipples were red, blistered, sore, painful etc.. for about 2 months.. even though everyone kept telling me that my dd's latch is perfect! She just had such a strong suck... I literelly had tears in my eyes in the first few minutes of every feeding. Dr. Newman's cream works wonders though, I would probably get an infection if I didn't use it. My dd is seven months now and breastfeeding is a breeze!