Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: how to tell if milk is bad

Default how to tell if milk is bad

I'm not sure how to tell if milk has gone bad. What does it smell like? The other day I let the babysitter give ds milk from a bottle that had been frozen. I don't really see how it could have gone bad, its been in the freezer for about 2 months and I think it had been in the fridge for maybe 3 days before that. Shouldn't that be alright still? Anyways, he didn't want to drink more than a few sips, and when I smelled it I wasn't sure it smelled right. Not really gross or anything, just not what I thought it would smell like. And would drinking a few sips of that make him sick?

Default Re: how to tell if milk is bad

Try to smell fresh milk so you can then compare them. I think when my milk smells like old eggs it went bad and i throw it away. i don't think it would make him sick.
    Also to note: the taste of frozen milk will usaully vary from fresh milk and some children do not prefer the taste and will not drink it.

Thanks for your reply. The milk definitely didn't smell like old eggs, it just smelled a little acidic. He had had frozen milk once before without complaint, although this milk might have been in the freezer for longer.

Maybe freezer burn or something?

You will know when your milk smells bad! I had the same question and a few days ago i had a bottle in the fridge id forgotten what time id put it in there so i went to smell it and OMG it was bad.. it just stinks. Also do a taste test if your not sure. A small amount will not hurt you, and as for baby, my LC said that if he sips a bit of bad milk he normally wont do it enough to make him sick ( more than a belly ache if even that). They really dont like to drink or eat anything with a weird taste. ( think green beans or brocolli...lol)

I find that it's very obvious when breast milk truly spoils. It smells like vomit. It's really nasty. But like someone else said, if in doubt just taste it. If it was frozen it can taste wierd but still be fine. Tastes kinda soapy, that's fine, but your baby might not drink it.