Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Are Bottles So Bad?

Default Are Bottles So Bad?

So it's a lot of extra work for me to have to pump my milk. At the moment I get between 2 - 2 1/2 ounces per pumping out of my breasts. I feed my daughter 2 ounces every 2 1/2 - 3 hours depending on when she wakes up and is hungry.

As you may have read in another thread, I tried everything. Even nursing with the nipple shield was problematic, I would nurse her for an hour, and then she'd be fussy. She wouldn't sleep, wouldn't even sit quietly. It got to the point to where I could hardly eat, drink, let alone sleep, and I just couldn't keep up with her.

I started pumping after nursing to build up a couple feeding's worth, and then switched her to the bottle and pumping after every feeding. She's not nearly as fussy, sleeps better, and I sleep better, too.

Does this make me a bad mother? I keep seeing here "Hang in there" and "you're such a great mom" when it comes to people keep trying the breast. I've even tried laying her naked on my stomach, which is hard because of my incision and my breasts are fairly large, so she ends up kicking my incision (OUCH). For one she hates being naked, even with a blanket over her. She kept rooting at the breast, and I kept putting the nipple in her mouth, but then she'd just spit it out and scream.

Default Re: Are Bottles So Bad?

First, do what is right for you and your baby. Don't let anyone make you feel you are bad for not doing it their way.

Second, how old is your little one? Maybe you should try contacting a Lactation Consultant.

My SIL had a lot of trouble with her first one and had several visits with the LC before her and her LO were both comfortable with breastfeeding and she went on to nurse him until he was one when he weaned himself.

This is my first and I have been lucky enough that my son latched at birth and I never had problems. I hope I am as lucky with the next, but know that help is out there.

Good luck!

She just hit the 3 week mark. She was born the 24th of May via C-Section.

I'm using bottles that are supposed to simulate the breast -- The First Year's Breast Flow I believe they are called.

I've had a Lactation Consultant come by, and she helped me some with getting her gong on the nipple shield. But I started to notice that sometimes when she was "done" there was no milk in the shield -- and plenty of milk still in my breasts. Paired with her fussyness I began to worry that for whatever reason maybe she just wasn't getting any / enough milk. Unfortunately my husband and I can't afford continuing visits from her. We really couldn't afford the first one but I was desperate.

I still want to breast feed her, and have hopes of trying when she's a little older and (hopefully) a bit more patient. I'm going to an LLL meeting tonite, but I really don't have high hopes that I'll come away with any luck.

Like I've said, she knows it's there. Her little head bounces like mad when she's hungry and near my breast. But she doesn't open her mouth enough for a proper latch unless she's fussing, and at that point, I can bring her to breast but all she does is spit it out so she can continue to scream. My nipples never protrude enough to hit the roof of her mouth for her to realize it's there.

They also don't seem to be firming up much when they have milk, which makes it difficult as well. I still get milk from them, but it makes breast feeding impossible.

I'm just praying that as her need for larger quantities of milk increases I can pump more from my breasts. I'm not sure how that's going to work given that I'm not breast feeding her. I'm trying to pump a few minutes longer than I was when I started, hoping that that will signal to them an increase in need for quantity.

My let down also seems pretty weak. At best I get 2 streams of milk from the breast, but usually I get none or one for a short period.

Krystal,

I understand why sometiems it seems like there is so much more encouragement for moms who BF, and I think part of it is because people think, subconsciously, that it is easier to bottle feed and therefore those moms might not need at much encouragement. But like the pp, you will figure out what works best for you two and have to know that it is the best decision. I encourage you to keep trying to put her to the breast a few times a day. One day, it just might click and your pumping worries will subside. But for now, if that is what works for you, congratulations for figuring it out, encouragement to keep going (bc pumping is not easy, it's twice the work as FF or BF!), and good luck for getting to a place where you and baby are most comfortable and least stressed.

I also am attending a LL meeting for the first time tonight. I'm in PA- any chance we're going to the same one?!?! It would be a small small world.
    Good luck at the meeting. Perhaps if your baby is hungry at that time, someone could give you some extra (read: free) advice!

Quote Originally Posted by Krystal View Post
    I still want to breast feed her, and have hopes of trying when she's a little older and (hopefully) a bit more patient. I'm going to an LLL meeting tonite, but I really don't have high hopes that I'll come away with any luck.

I'm just praying that as her need for larger quantities of milk increases I can pump more from my breasts. I'm not sure how that's going to work given that I'm not breast feeding her. I'm trying to pump a few minutes longer than I was when I started, hoping that that will signal to them an increase in need for quantity.
    I hope the LLL meeting helps. The tough part is that it's hard to tell if it's something with your breasts/nipples/milk ejection reflex or something with your LO's latch/mouth/etc. IT does sound like one possiblity is tongue tie, if your LO is not able to get a deep enough latch. You should definitely look into that.
    I personally think that exclusively pumping is a great alternative and you should not feel bad about doing it. However, my worry is exactly what you have expressed: that you will have trouble keeping up (because pumping usually doesn't stimulate production like a baby does) AND most importantly, every feeding will take twice as much time and effort from you and become really tiresome! Like, it would suck to have to wake up at night and pump and then feed it to her rather than just wake up and bf, kwim?
    Sorry, not trying to be a downer, but just looking at the big picture for you.
    Your baby has a loving mama who is looking out for her best interests, and that is the most important thing. But BF is preferable over bottlefeeding ebm IMO primarily because of YOU: bfing is simply more convenient and less time consuming.
    So in the long haul it's really really worth it to do what you can. You have done a lot already. My suggestion is to look into the possibility of tongue tie and ask for suggestions at the meeting tonight.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

You are putting in a stupendous effort, it sounds like you've been trying to take everyone's suggestions, and even though nothing is working you're still getting your baby breastmilk, which you should be proud of. I know several moms who bf but mostly or exclusively pump to give their babies bm, I think that's much harder to do and shows your dedication even more. It's really unfair that you haven't been provided with a LC for free--I can call any of the LCs at the hospital where I gave birth, and my pediatrician has an LC on site who I do call every week, I would NOT be bf without her! But LLL members are often just as good, and hopefully you'll be able to talk with women who have had similar problems at the meeting. Your lo roots and maybe someone there can help you get her to latch, or I know most LLL leaders will help you at home for free. Good luck!

Still going to try to make the meeting tonite but I might not. *Sigh*

As for where, it's in the Boston area.

Hope you get this after your meeting! You're a great mom for doing your best no matter how it turns out. I did read somewhere on this site that you should probably add more pump sessions into your sched. and not just min. to previous pump sessions. I think they even mentioned that you could kinda jumpstart production by acting like a growth spurt baby and do several pumping sessions (10min pumping...10min resting...10min pumping again, etc)..hth

My SIL had problems with her LO latching and ended up pumping exclusively. If you end up needing to do this you should get a hospital grade pump as that is the best type of pump for stimulating production ans also for being able to keep up with as much as you will need to pump. Your hospital or LLL contact should be able to help you rent one of these. My SIL did and ended up pumping exclusively for 9 months - she did not have to supplement with formula. After 9 months she weaned b/c she was prego with #2 and it was easiest for her at that point.

I give you lots of credit for trying to go the extra mile to help your lo. Best of luck to you and you can do it!!