Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Postpartum bleeding

Default Postpartum bleeding

I wasn't sure where to post this, but I wanted to see if anyone else had a similar experience. I am just over 4 weeks postpartum. My bleeding stopped at about 2 weeks. Then, last week it returned and has been on and off since then. I called my doctor, and she said this could be normal and to watch it. I am bf my DS about every 1-2 hours most days. My supply is good, and I have no abdominal pain. Anyway, I was curious to see if anyone else had this on and off bleeding into the 4th week.

Thanks!

Default Re: Postpartum bleeding

I'm in week 3 and still have bleeding. It has stopped last week then picked up again and I called my Dr. who said I can expect some bleeding on/off for up to 6 weeks. Hang in there!
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

i had the same problem... i was still spotting up to my 6th week and it stopped. hang in there!

Same here.

I had pretty much stopped by week 2, spotted for a few days this week, and now I'm back to a slightly heavier flow. I believe so long as it isn't bright red or you're not going through pads like crazy you're fine.

My doc told me I can expect to bleed until my 6th week. She says it's kind of a cosmic joke. No period for 9 months, then you get to bleed like a period for 6 weeks straight. Yay.

yup there is a name for it but I cann't think now what its called, one of the moms who was a nurse shared it with us a long time ago,
    normal.
    IF you have lots of bleeding like pad and hour, or any clot bigger then a chicken egg (what my ob said) you should call the dr.

PP is correct. I had this as well. My doctor simply called it hormonal bleeding. She said that your hormones can still be pretty up and down after the delivery for a while. Mine went away(the irregular bleeding) after I think the first month and half. Just keep an eye on it, but otherwise try to relax.

I bled FOREVER. Seriously, I couldn't stop wearing pads until about 10 weeks. Totally normal. I've also heard that if you pick up activity after bleeding has stopped it can start up again. I wouldn't worry.
    To free us from the expectations of others, to give us back to ourselves - there lies the great, singular power of self-respect. ~Joan Didion

Mine didn't stop until about 4 1/2 weeks, and then right before my 6-week PP exam, I had one day where the bleeding picked up again. But I had carried LO in her carrier up and down a flight of stairs, which is tough for me (no upper body strength!), and I'm pretty sure that's what caused it. Told my midwife, and she said this can happen sometimes, nothing to worry about unless it's huge volume or clots.
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

My lo is 12 weeks and I still bleed on and off. I notice that I start bleeding again when I'm very stressed or I've overdone it physically. It is annoying, just when I think I'm done ...
    I am relying on the exclusive BF to stop ovulation for the first 6 mo. to prevent pregnancy and I wonder if this bleeding jeapordizes that, does anyone know????

Well I am now 2 weeks postpartum (today) and my bleeding stopped last week, but returned this week. I think it was because I return to doing normal activities around the house. Honestly, there were probably some days I did WAY more than I should have. Hang in there my doctor told me the bleeding is normal.