Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 3 mo old eating only 5-7 times a day! worried.

Default 3 mo old eating only 5-7 times a day! worried.

Over the past couple of weeks, my 3 month old baby went from eating every 2-3 hours to every 3-5 hours during the day and up to 9 hour stretches at night. I've been counting the number of feedings per 24 hours and it ranges from 5 to 7, whereas until a couple of weeks ago it was more like 8 to 10. Her stools have been mostly green for a few weeks now, but at the last doctor's visit 2 weeks ago she had gained weight and the doctor said not to worry about the color of her stools.

I just can't help worrying that she's not eating often enough. Should I wake her at night to nurse so she doesn't end up going 9 hours without eating? Since she was born I've been nursing on demand—meaning I wait until she starts to cry from hunger. Perhaps I should be feeding her on a more frequent schedule? How many feedings per day are "normal" for a 3 month old, approximately 12 pounds?

TIA for your advice!

Default Re: 3 mo old eating only 5-7 times a day! worried.

Hi there There really isn't a guideline for the number of times per day that a 3 month old should be nursing. They should be nursing frequently enough so that they're gaining 4-6 ounces per week. A good indication that they're gaining well is to watch the wet diaper output. At this point baby should be having about 4-5 sopping wet diapers (feels like 4-6 tablespoons of fluid) per day and stooling normally for your baby. After about the 6 week mark, some breastfed babies will stop having frequent bowel movements.

This may help too: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/enoughmilk-older.html (not a LLL source)

Try to relax about things a bit -- as babies get older they often become extremely efficient at the breast, getting everything they need in a matter of just a few minutes. Watch your baby, not the clock. You're doing a terrific job!

HTH!

Quote Originally Posted by fozzie
    Over the past couple of weeks, my 3 month old baby went from eating every 2-3 hours to every 3-5 hours during the day and up to 9 hour stretches at night. I've been counting the number of feedings per 24 hours and it ranges from 5 to 7, whereas until a couple of weeks ago it was more like 8 to 10. Her stools have been mostly green for a few weeks now, but at the last doctor's visit 2 weeks ago she had gained weight and the doctor said not to worry about the color of her stools.

I just can't help worrying that she's not eating often enough. Should I wake her at night to nurse so she doesn't end up going 9 hours without eating? Since she was born I've been nursing on demand—meaning I wait until she starts to cry from hunger. Perhaps I should be feeding her on a more frequent schedule? How many feedings per day are "normal" for a 3 month old, approximately 12 pounds?

TIA for your advice!
    where's the problem?!

you have a happy healthy baby that is sleeping through the night!

Thanks for the words of encouragement. As if I weren't already confused enough, my baby threw me for a loop by waking every 3 hours to nurse last night! One night, 9.5 hour stretch, next night, 3 hour stretches.... I suppose this is "normal" too? :-)

Yes, lol, that is normal as well. In fact, babies are anything but predictable. It always seems to me that just as I got accustomed to one "routine" that my babies fell into they'd switch it up on me.

Watch the baby, not the clock Just nurse her when she needs it and you won't go wrong.

Keep up the great work!

fozzie, it sounds to me like my ds may be similar to your baby. he is 11 weeks, so almost 3 months, his poops have been changing and his eating pattern is stretching out a lot. guess we just have to keep rolling with all the changes!!!

My son started sleeping through the night at 11 weeks and it for me it was all of a sudden as well. He ate more often than your baby is, at about five mos. he started eating only 6 times per day. It sounds like yours is on the right track and as long as weight gain is fine don't worry, keep up the good work!