Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breastfeeding again...after stopping...HELP!!!!

Lightbulb Breastfeeding again...after stopping...HELP!!!!

Hi i have a question...im 18yrs old i had my first baby on Christmas 05. he will be 4 months tomorrow...i stopped breastfeedin at about 6-8 weeks. i was wondering if i can start again or is it too late? i still have milk comin out when i squeeze my nipples. if anyone has any advice please let me know. thanxs a lot

-Kathy

Default Re: Breastfeeding again...after stopping...HELP!!!!

I don't know for sure, but I don't see why you couldn't, I think it is wonderful that you want to
    Melanie
    Proud Army Wife to James
    Loving Mommy to DS Gavin: March 16, 2006 and DSS Cody: Feb 13, 1998
    Banners/Photos/HC

The thing to do right now is to get baby back on the breast and try to get it going again! That you have obvious milk still is a good sign and baby there and demanding milk will increase supply. Do you have an LLL group that meets near where you are? That would be a great place to go for in-person support and helpful hints, etc. Was baby able to latch OK when you were nursing previously?
    Good luck and good for you for trying this again!
    Jsmom

Yes, you can start again -- this is called "relactating." Search on the LLL website and the kellymom.com website for "relactating" or "relactation" and I'm sure you'll find some good resources.

It will take time to build your milk supply up to meet your baby's demand, and in the meantime you'll probably need to keep offering formula so baby doesn't get dehydrated. But if you stick with it I bet you can succeed. Remember that ANY breastmilk is better than no breastmilk, and give it time.

Do you have or can you get a hospital-grade double electric breastpump? It may make the process of increasing your supply go a little faster -- but as Jsmom posted above, the most important thing is just to get baby back to the breast and nurse as much as you can.

Good luck to you! So glad you posted -- let us know how we can help support you.

--Rebecca

Kathy, How are things going??
    J'smom

If you can't afford to rent a hospital grade pump, see if there is a WIC clinic in your area. (Women, Infants and Childrens Nutrition, for low income families) They are great breastfeeding supporters who can help a lot. They have LCs and let participants borrow hospital grade pumps for no charge. I couldn't have breastfed either of my two without them.
    Amanda Mom to James (2/25/04) and nursling Alice (8/24/05)

LLLSueAnn Guest

This web page lists a number of LLL resources on relactation:

http://www.llli.org/NB/NBrelactation.html

It is usually easier to rebuild a supply than to start from scratch, like many adoptive mothers need to do. It may take time and patience, but can be done!

Sue Ann

Quote Originally Posted by amandalynn
    If you can't afford to rent a hospital grade pump, see if there is a WIC clinic in your area. (Women, Infants and Childrens Nutrition, for low income families) They are great breastfeeding supporters who can help a lot. They have LCs and let participants borrow hospital grade pumps for no charge. I couldn't have breastfed either of my two without them.

I am about to have DD #2 (c-section scheduled for 5/4), and I have one more WIC appt. before the birth (on 5/3), so I was wondering...WIC can help with getting a breast pump for me? I had one that was bought for first DD, but I don't know what I did with it. So, I am very curious about your post. Should I just ask at my next WIC appt.? Also, I didn't even know LC's were associated in any way with WIC. This is the 2nd time I used WIC vouchers, and I never knew about this....

They (WIC) has peer counselors, so it would be another mother who has breastfed and gone through training that would call up and check on you, along with assisting you getting what you needed and helping answer any breastfeeding questions that you may need to get answered. I don't know for sure, but I feel pretty confident that they can help you get a breast pump. Did you know that insurance will cover it? WIC may be able to help get insurance to cover it up front, instead of submitting a reciept. Just have your midwife or OB write a prescription for it.

Quote Originally Posted by mommymilk
    Did you know that insurance will cover it? WIC may be able to help get insurance to cover it up front, instead of submitting a reciept. Just have your midwife or OB write a prescription for it.
    Thank you for this information. I am just wondering...a prescription for a hospital grade pump or just any pump? I will call WIC and the insurance company tomorrow, and I will post what I found out. Also, I have another OB appt. (last one before c-section scheduled for 5/4), so I will ask the OB about a prescription when I see him. Anyone else have insurance cover a breast pump? I did not mean to "cut-in" on this thread, but the WIC thing really got my attention. So, thank you.