Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Supply and demand

TM is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default Supply and demand

I was wondering right now my LO is 4 months and each breast makes 2 oz so if I feed her both breast she will eat 4 oz a feeding and she usually eats every 2-3 hours. She's a big baby, 18 pounds. Will my breasts slowly make more as she grows or do I need to do something?

Default Re: Supply and demand

Are you nursing or giving breastmilk in a bottle? If you're nursing don't worry about it, your lo will let you know if she wants more and that will increase your supply. She's probably much better at getting the milk out than a pump at this point, so she may be eating as much as 6oz a feeding without you realizing.

My first question would be how you are determining that each breast has 2oz? If you are basing this on pumping...throw that rationale out the window. Your LO is more efficient than a pump FOR SURE. Your breasts will also let down more than one time in a nursing session provided that you are nursing for 8-10m or more a side (not the same times for everyone). You will not always feel the subsequent letdowns. Supply and demand is just that...when sucking continues because LO is hungry..the supply will be there. More sucking= more milk.

IF in fact you are comparing to a pump-just to give an example early on in my LO's life...the PED thought my LO was not getting enough milk due to slow weight gain.....by method of weighing before a feed then nursing then another weigh in..he received an amazing 6 oz on one side alone...Yet I can only get 1 to 1 1/2 oz out of a pump.

Listen to swallowing or watch for chin breaks during nursing and count wet diapers. This is the best indicator that your LO is getting enough.
    Leslie- Momma to Aiden 02/28/06 AND Owen 2/28/08...What timing

Older and wiser voices can always help you find the right path, if you are only willing to listen.--Jimmy Buffet

I also am curious how you're determining she's eating 4oz. per feeding. And by that age, really, most babies only need to nurse on one side. You may just need to keep her on one side longer to increase supply that way.
    But yes, the more she nurses, the more it will make. So if she has a growth spurt and nurses a lot, your breasts will make more because she's asking your body to make more.

TM is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Well last night I just pumped when she was asleep to see what I was making and I only pumped 4 ounces. It's good to know that I will have more than one letdown per nursing session. The first one is really strong/almost painful and I don't feel any others. I thought she had to be eating more because of her weight gain. She weighed 9lbs at birth and now at 4 mo shes 18. That makes me feel better, thanks.