Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nipple Sheild - 3 WK old

Default Nipple Sheild - 3 WK old

I'm having a real hard time getting my 3 WK old off this nipple sheild. I've tried feeding for a few minutes with it on and then taking it off but he wont stay latched. I've also tried just cold turkey and that obviously doesnt work either... Any suggestions?

TIA

Default Re: Nipple Sheild - 3 WK old

Give it time. I tried several times starting around 2 weeks and never got anywhere. Tried again at 6 weeks and we were able to ditch it forever by the end of the day. I don't have time to go into it now, but if you do a search for nipple shields, you should get a ton of threads with helpful hints.

Misty
    Loving my two sweet girls Audrey (7/18/06) and Annie (6/18/09) Baby #3 due to appear 8/5/10

Feel free to ask me about my successful HBAC , food allergies, cloth diapers, and the joy of having a high-needs, non-sleeping little dear who has grown into a wonderful preschooler.

Blogging here.

Search for nipple shields on Kellymom.com and you should get lots of tips. My DD is still using a shield at 7 months, although I have not tried extremely hard to get her off it. It works for us. She is getting bm and we are both happy.

We used one for a couple of months also. I found the best time to try to get him off of it was in the middle of the night. I would let him use it for a while to get a a good shape for him to latch on to and then remove it and put him back on fairly quickly. It worked well because at night he wasn't so frustrated. Keep trying. It will happen for you. Perhaps not as soon as you had hoped, but it will happen. I think we finally stopped all together at about 3 or 4 months.
    Good luck, keep on trucking!

We used one til 6 months. DS finally decided to take it off and latched on w/o it. Since then we have not used it. Like PP said there are lots of previous threads on this topic.
    C:\Documents and Settings\David Lawrence\My Documents\My Pictures\DSC00970.jpg
    Mommy to Alexander
    Born Oct 6,2006