Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: plugged duct with minimal nursing time?

Default plugged duct with minimal nursing time?

I have a mildly sore spot on my left breast. I'm guessing it is a plugged duct, though I can't really feel a lump or plug. I used to get a lot of them but haven't had one for almost two years. It actually has been there for a few weeks now, I think. For awhile I would forget about it because it really on hurt when there is direct pressure on it. A couple days ago, though, I started to get more worried when I realized it was still sore and had been quite awhile. The last two nights I tried some heat and massage which has actually made it more sore (I guess I massaged to hard ). I'm a little confused about what to do about it. I know the usual course of action would be heat, massage, and empty the breast frequently. But, my DS is down to just one nursing session a day. I tried to hand express after the heat/massage but was only able to get a couple drops. I'm really not producing very much milk, so is it still necessary to drain the breast frequently? If I start pumping every two hours I'll end up with a huge oversupply of milk.

Default Re: plugged duct with minimal nursing time?

Hi there
    I had a similar problem last week. I only feed my daughter twice a day and had a blocked duct on my left nipple. I made sure that each feed started with the left breast and that she was fully latched on. This meant a) I got the painful bit over and done with first(!) and b) she fed more enthusiastically and forcefully on that breast. It was only really painful for a couple of days and a week later, the blockage has gone.
    I hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply. Now I have a sore spot on the other breast too . What could be causing this all of the sudden? My breast don't feel full. The sore spots aren't near my nipple but higher up on my breast, so it doesn't hurt to nurse. I'm just concerned because they don't seem to be getting better.

Hi llmommy,
    How are you feeling today? Any changes?
    You are right that the usual recommendations for mastitis/plugged ducts are heat, gentle massage, frequent breastfeeding and rest. Maybe in this case "frequent" breastfeeding could be a couple or a few times per day instead of every two hours?
    Any thoughts on the cause of the plugged ducts? Is the change down to one nursing session per day a recent one? Any new, more constrictive clothing (like a new bra or bathing suit)? Have you started sleeping on your stomach? A new baby carrier, heavy purse or diaper bag? Any changes in latch?
    Mary
    Last edited by @llli*LLLMaryP; June 15th, 2007 at 09:42 PM.

Today seems pretty much the same - no better, but no worse. DS has picked back up a second nursing session (he was only down to one for two days, then went back to two). That change from two to one, though, was after the sore spots were already there on the one side. It does seem to feel better right after he nurses. I do have some new bras, but they don't seem too tight. I guess I could try getting some looser ones.