Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Did I screw up??

Default Did I screw up??

Okay so I think I may have made a mistake. I've been posting in the Babies and Allergies section because of DD's reflux and eczema (I've eliminated eggs and and dairy from my diet at this time). Anyway, I caved to the advice of DD's ped. and gave her a tablespoon of rice cereal before nursing a couple of times to see if the thickened feed would help with her reflux. (DD was 4 months on 4/20). Well, the rice cereal didn't help AT ALL. I figured it wouldn't and went against my better judgement in trying it but at least now we know... Anyway, I've stopped the rice cereal but during the total of three times DD was given it, I noticed after the third time that she'd broken out in a hive-like rash all over the trunk of her body. I'm assuming that this was an allergic reaction to the cereal because it cleared up within about 12 hours after stopping the cereal.

My question is this-Does this mean that DD will always have this reaction to the rice cereal, even when she's six months or so and ready for solids? (I think she's going to be ready a little earlier though, she's almost 17.5 pounds, almost sits up on her own, closes her mouth around the spoon and moved the cereal to the back of her mouth to swallow). Should I try offering the cereal again in a couple of months and see what happens? She didn't act like the rash bothered her but I certainly don't want that to be a reaction we just deal with. Will we have to skip over the cereal and just introduce veggies and then fruits? Sorry for so many questions, just not sure what to do.

Thanks!
    Amber
    Mommy to Bridget (12/20/05) and Brady (9/6/07)

Default Re: Did I screw up??

I asked my dd's ped while I had her on the phone today

She said the rash was either related to the rice or just ironic timing of events (Ie she had a small fever and was getting rid of it and hence the rash). She said single grain rice is something very few are allergic to - and if she reacted to it she may very well simply be allergic to it - no matter when you introduced it.

I accidently fed DS Heinz rice cereal (he has a milk/soy protein intollerance)...not even thinking to look at the ingredients. Their rice cereal has 2 different types of dairy in it!!!!! I couldn't believe it. Now I just use beechnut cereal which just has rice and a couple of other things (no dairy or soy).

Angela

Earths Best also is dairy/soy free...

Thank you so much for your replies! Jeffs_Hope, I really appreciate you asking your ped about that for me. Hopefully it was just coincindental that the rash developed.

Thanks again!
    Amber
    Mommy to Bridget (12/20/05) and Brady (9/6/07)