Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Avent Isis , no suction?

Default Avent Isis , no suction?

Hi
    I'm currently 9 months pregnant with my first baby.
    I dont plan on being away from my baby much so i decided to get a manual pump to start off with. We decided on the Avent Isis, I got it the other day and being well curious I tried it out. From what i could tell it was put together correctly but seemed to have no suction at all to it. I know that i shouldn't be getting any milk out yet, as baby isn't born yet, but i thought i would feel something. Never used a breast pump so i'm just not sure if this is how they work. should their be a suction to it? if so any ideas what i could be doing wrong. Thanks

Default Re: Avent Isis , no suction?

Hi,

Congratulations on your baby! When I first tried this pump I didn't get the amount of suction I was expecting, either. I found that wetting the edges on the main pump part where the 2 soft plastic things attach made for a good seal. (The things I am talking about are--in technical terms--the doo-hickey that goes on your nipple and the circular one the pump lever attaches to. I just run a wet finger around the edges where those go.) That really made a difference.

Now sometimes I get too much suction when I am not paying attention. sigh.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice. I went back today and was playing around with it. I had read taking off the soft plastic nipple shield thingy?, helps with suction. Well that didn't really work but i took it all apart again and put the star piece in the wrong way and left the soft shield piece off. and it worked!! so i took it apart again this time put the star piece in the right way and it worked again. tryed putting the soft piece back on and it still worked. so i'm really not sure why it wasn't before but it seems to be working ok now

I have used mine a couple of times (usually use the Medela Pump in Style Advanced at work but keep the Isis at home for quick pumping needs), and at first I could not get any suction! I was so frustrated. Now it takes a little while of pumping to get it going, but it works fine. Maybe some condensation gets in there, I'll try the PP suggestions of wetting it.

I also wanted to mention that using a pump (nipple stimulation) can bring on labor or contractions - so if you're not ready for that then I wouldn't play around with the pump just yet!

Cynthia

I have used mine a couple of times (usually use the Medela Pump in Style Advanced at work but keep the Isis at home for quick pumping needs), and at first I could not get any suction! I was so frustrated. Now it takes a little while of pumping to get it going, but it works fine. Maybe some condensation gets in there, I'll try the PP suggestions of wetting it.

I also wanted to mention that using a pump (nipple stimulation) can bring on labor or contractions - so if you're not ready for that then I wouldn't play around with the pump just yet!

Cynthia
    What do you think about the Medela Pump in Style Advanced? I was sold on it until I read the reviews on this site and now I am leaning towards the Avent ISIS Duo. The only disadvantanges of the second is that it cost quite a bit more and doesn't seem to come with a car adaptor - which would be necessary for me when I return for work. Anyway what was your opinion about the Medela PISA?
    By the way what does DS and DD stand for?
    Thanks,
    Kristy