Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Gagging

Default Gagging

First-time mom or 6wo. Baby has starting gagging from time to time. Sometimes it's when she first attempts to latch on, and I assume she's just getting the nipple too far back in her mouth. But the last couple of days she's started just randomly gagging. Just an hour ago I had her in her bouncy seat so I could talk to her and play with her, and she gagged. Other times she will cough and almost sound like she's choking, again at random times and not while she's nursing. Should I be worried, or is there something I can do, or is this normal?

Default Re: Gagging

When you say gagging do you mean spitting up or just gagging? I had a LO who I thought seemed to just have an easy gag reflex. She would just gag sometimes and seem to get carsick when she was a bit older. It never seemed to be an issue. Now I've heard about something called "reflux". I don't know much about it, but here is a link

http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/reflux.html

HTH

Default Re: Gagging

MommyF: Just gagging. She does her fair share of spitting up, too, but the gagging is a whole different thing. I just can't seem to figure out what triggers it or if I can prevent it (it can't be fun for her). Her daddy has an easy gag reflex, so maybe she's just inherited that from him?