Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Daytime Sleep

Default Re: Daytime Sleep

Hello ladies. My LO is 4 1/2mos now. She was similar. She would sometimes wake up immediately sometime I could get her in the bassinet for a bit. I guess I just camped out on the couch most of the time, but I had older kids to help fetch things and whatnot. I did mention it to the Dr. at her last visit (about 2wks ago) and he said it was normal. Some babies don't need as much sleep, and mine does well at night too so I figure she must be getting enough. I've had other LOs do the same thing.

I have a friend who wore her sling 24/7. I only saw her LOs face for the longest time! My friend let me try her sling ('cuz I've got to get off the couch and I believe in keeing her close). Any way, she slept like a log (or should I say twig?) and my older daughter (who loves to sew) is making me a sling from the pattern of my friends old one!

HTH

You know, it's just good to hear I'm not the only one out there.

Eva, we have tried the carseat, either driving or in the stroller, and she falls asleep while she's in it, but the second we stop moving, the eyes pop open! She's just as stubborn as her mommy and daddy.

On a more positive note, she took a 45-minute nap right after I started posting and now, on her second nap of the day, she has been asleep for almost two hours. Figures, doesn't it?

Krystal, I remember hitting a growth spurt at 3 weeks where she was holding out on sleeping until late in the afternoon. Maybe that's what's happening with your lo? After a few days mine was over that, so hang in there! I have days where I feel like I can't make it another minute, like I want to give the baby away to a nice family, and I feel like a horrible mother for even thinking that, because I do love her. But then I have a good day, or she smiles at me, and I get another breath of air to keep going. Everyone says it gets better, and I'm trying to believe them. That's why I'm loving this forum--moral support to get us all through the tough start.

Emma started that last week (7 weeks old). I am looking for ideas too. Thanks for posting!

For all really young babies.....even up to 3 or 4 mos. I strongly strongly strongly recommend swaddling.

If she gets out of it, then you are not swaddling correctly OR you don't have the right type of blanket. You cannot swaddle with any old blanket. The stretchy waffle weave ones work best or you can buy special swaddling blankets (miracle blanket).

It will work but just be careful not to overheat. No fleece or anything hot.....

Also as a second point, obvious things like having a nice dark and familiar place to nap are important.

It's round on the ends and high in the middle

I had a similar problem with my DD (she is now 4 months). I tried everything, but nothing seemed to work. She didn't take to the sling very well, and got seriously angry with swaddling. So here's what worked for me:
    * I nursed her on the boppy, and she would fall asleep. After she was done eating, I would move her in the boppy to the bed/couch and let her sleep on that. (I was always in the room and watching.)
    * I would lay down with her until she was out.
    She's still a catnapper, but now at least it's about 30-45 minute naps instead of 10 or 15.
    Can someone come and help you? Your SO or mom? Even if they held her for an hour, you could get a shower or a nap.
    Hang in there...it gets better!

Jessica
    Fancy Momma to the Divine Miss M, 2/15/07 BF'ed for 17 months!
    Currently TTC Baby #2

Hello babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies - Damn it, you've got to be kind. - Kurt Vonnegut

Just to chime in that my boy is the same. He's 9 weeks old today, not in any growth spurt that i can see, (still) sick with a blocked nose and clogged throat, and nursing very fussily coz he's afraid of suffocating...

i'm just thankful that he sleeps at night, though i spent a good hour last night trying to bore him to sleep. It was way past midnight before he would go to sleep and stay asleep! i'm afraid of what's going to happen when i go back to work in a month's time...

to all you ladies out there!

Fortunately my lo took two very nice naps yesterday. It figures she would do this right after I posted that she wasn't napping!

I'm waiting to see what happens today. She is clearly very tired--poor little thing has bags under her eyes. I put her down and she woke up 15 minutes later, but I tried a technique from the Pantley book (leaning into her bassinet and cuddling her, without picking her up, until she calmed down) and it seemed to work. That's the second time I've successfully tried that technique.

Don't know if she'll stay asleep or not ...

Ebbie, question for you based on your experience. The Pantley book suggests making naptime different from bedtime by having baby sleep right in the center of household activity, with lots of light and background noise. This might work for some babies, but I can't imagine my lo sleeping through all that. I've only been successful with a darker, quieter room. Is this your experience too? Am I going to confuse her about day/night by doing this?

Day time --> i have the blinds opened during the day time. but keep noise min at the beginning of his "nap"..

At night, it's my hubby that rocks him to "sleep". I tried one time (as hubby was working late), and he wouldn't go to sleep. At night, we only have the nightlight on while rocking him to sleep. Last week we also started a bedtime routine. Bathe/wash him with towel, "massage", feed, hubby then tries a bedtime story, and then rocking.

Have you tried different positions? I would first have DS over my shoulder to burp/calm him down. then I switch to a cradle hold, and most of the time his eyes start to close... (this is what I've been doign the last 3 days).. and it seems to work...

Also a friend told me - when DS wakes up, play with him first about 10-15 mins (tummy time, singing, mirror time, anything to distract him). After play time (or if he's really crying and doesn't want to play), then feed him. burp and nap... apparently the "play" time will wake him up enough to eat, and also tire him enough to nap afterwards.

My DD used to wake up when she got out of her swaddle. I read that it takes about 20 minutes for infants to pass in tot he deep REM sleep stage and right before they pass in to it their little bodies give a jolt (like that falling sensation), so if they aren't swaddled really well that can wake them up. What worked for us was the miracle blanket. It swaddles the babies nice and tight and then when they jolt they don't wake themselves up. It was a little expensive, but totally worth it for us, if you think your baby likes to be swaddled I would definately reccommend it!

We have been doing the same things since Jonathan was 2wo and he is 16wo today. He would never sleep more than 30 mins and usually would wake once I put him down. I have spent WAY too much time on my sofa. We tried everything too, crib, cradle, swing, carseat, lullabies, white noise, swaddling. The swaddling worked at night only and nothing else seemed to make much difference. This week has seemed to be a turning point. I am able to put him down while asleep now and it has lasted one hour twice this week. They are all different and I just need to accept that and work on what works best for him. I have two other boys and it is LOUD here most days and I really think he is a light sleeper (like his mum ).
    Do you find her nursing frequently? Jonathan has always nursed every hour since that point, but he has been going about 90 mins lately too which is wonderful
    Just do the best you can and try not to fret too much about something that you cannot change. Maybe your LO just wants to be near her momma This time next year she'll be all over the house and it will all be a fading memory. I remind myself of this as much as possible and really try to enjoy it since this is my last baby. It can be trying at times, but I do the best I can. Sounds like you are doing very well.
    Keep up the good work Mommy