Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Daytime Sleep

Default Daytime Sleep

I'm a first-time mom, and I love my little girl, but I feel like I'm failing as a mother and losing my mind at the same time!

My baby is 6 weeks old, and she sleeps pretty great at night. She will usually sleep 4-5 hours, wake up for a quick feeding, and then go back to sleep for 2-3 more hours. She's pretty consistent as far as the time she's ready for bed, too.

But she refuses to nap during the day. She acts so tired, yawning and blinking her eyes. If I nurse her, she will fall asleep in my arms, but no matter what I try, she won't stay asleep. I have tried holding her, putting her in her crib, in her bassinet, in her swing, next to me in bed, etc., and it doesn't make any difference where she is or how she's sleeping. She won't sleep more than 10-15 minutes and then she's up again.

I can tell that sometimes it's gas that's waking her up, but other times I don't have a clue. I know she needs sleep so badly, and she's a lot more fussy when she doesn't nap, but I don't know how to help her sleep. Any suggestions?

And if it is gas, what can I do to help with that? I'm very careful about what I eat, and I try to burp her well (she's hard to burp). Sometimes she wakes up crying from the gas. I feel like I can't meet her needs, no matter what I try.

Someone please tell me this will get better--and soon!

Default Re: Daytime Sleep

I had the exact opposite problem when my son was 6 weeks old. He would sleep all day and be up at night. To look on the bright side, you are very lucky that he sleeps that much at night. But I know it must be very hard for you to get things done in the daytime if you can't put the baby down at all. You should definitely look into wearing your baby (there is a forum here called babywearing that is great). There are all different kinds of slings and carriers that are great, especially for fussy babies. Good luck and hang in there, mama. It will definitely get easier!
    Loving mama to S - 11/06, and F - 1/09

Babywearing might help. Also, have you tried swaddlign her for her naps? that really helped my son.

I do use a sling at times, although right now I don't have a lot of times to use it, because I'm here at home with not a lot to do right now. I did try it at church on Sunday, and she slept a bit, but still not much. Maybe I'm just going to have to start taking long walks or finding things to do so I can be up and around and keep her in the sling.

We have tried swaddling. It never really seemed to work, and she's so good at getting out of the swaddle that we just gave up. Might be worth trying again, since nothing else seems to work!

Thanks for the support. I think more than anything I'm just going a little crazy from all this major life change and need to know I'm not the only one!

Definitely not the only one... I am still reeling from the life changes and it is 8 months post partum! It could be a growth spurt... AT any rate, it is probably a short-lived phase that she will probably grow out of. I was totally clueless as to my baby's sleep needs when he was that age- we went home for Christmas from the time he was 8-12 weeks and I was only allowing for 1 maybe 2 naps a day if he seemed fussy.... That seems nuts to me now, and I wonder how he coped wihout the sleeep, but they do, and sometimes there is nothing you can do but let them cope. IMO, could have to do with a 6 week growth spurt, she will probably outgrow it soon.

Married and sealed to Randall 12~28~2002
    Mother to William Randall 10~13~2006

Get a wrap. It's the only way not get tapped on the couch with a nursling napping in your arms....

Way too lazy for formula

My DS did the same thing at 6 weeks (he is 8 weeks today)!. Couldn't nap, fell asleep while "nursing" (more like suck, suck, sleep), then woke up if I put him down. I tried the swaddling, and it didn't help me... I had to hold him to sleep for a good 30 mins (I read a book during this time), and then put him down. He still does this now, especially in the evenings, but it has gotten better. Your DD can be in a growth spurt too.

Hang in there! It's slowly getting better for me.

PS - how can you tell it's gas that is waking her up?

I can tell it's gas waking her up because she will either start squirming or cry out, and then a second later I hear her pass gas. The last few days she's had gas bad enough that it hurts her a little. Not sure what to do about that since I am being careful of foods and trying my best to get her to burp.

I'm having the same problem with my little one right now, and she's just hitting the 3 week mark.

Ever since about 2 weeks, no matter what I do, she just *won't* sleep during the day until about 2-3 pm. I'm having problems nursing so I use a nipple shield, which just makes it even worse for her to fall asleep. She'll sleep while nursing, and then I'll try to burp her (to no avail) and then I'll lay her down. BOOM! in less than 2 minutes time she's up and screaming bloody murder. I pick her up, and she'll either nap or she'll let her eyes go shut then snap them open, all the while yawning.

I've gone back to pumping and feeding her expressed milk because I'm afraid she's not getting enough milk out of my breasts, and I don't want my supply to run out. But I tell you, it makes things that much worse. I hardly get any sleep now at night because I have to add in time to pump my breasts to replace the bottle I just fed her. And she doesn't fall asleep while sucking from the bottle, so there's extra time in there to try to get her to sleep.

I don't know how much more of this I can take.

Haley's MOm - thanks... now i know

Krystal - at the 2-3 week period, my son did the same thing. My doctor called it "snacking". He grew out of that phase!... Have you seen a LC? Try to use breast compression to wake her up. I would avoid the bottle, as she might not take your breast later on. I read a post somewhere about how to give express milk while on your breast. I felt the same way you did, and was crying a lot. It does get better around the 5-6 week period. I think it's becuz you get the hang of it, and you feel better yourself (rmbr, you're still recovering, and trying to feed a little one)...

Haley's mom -- did you ever try putting her in a car seat? DS would scream the first few minutes, then settle down. we didn't even have to put him in the car.... Or you can put the car seat in the stroller, and stroll around the house a bit, and leave her in there! Sometimes, I let DS cry it out for two minutes and he'll fall asleep!!! (This is what I JUST did, he cried, and then he's asleep, just did a 180 on me )