Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: giving baby an occasional bottle

Default giving baby an occasional bottle

Our whole family (including me) is down with the flu & last night I allowed my husband to give my 3 week old a bottle of formula because I just needed some rest. Will giving an occasional bottle like this only in emergency situations affect my milk supply? I feel so gulity!

Default Re: giving baby an occasional bottle

Im not sure. I have heard that everytime you do it can affect the supply, but if you dont do it often I doubt it really will.Then again, I used to think that, and mine was really low compared to what he ate

i did in the beginning give my LO a bottle everynight but after a week i stopped. now MY milk supply never went down but when i give him a bottle now i make sure to pump. a couple of bottle feedings wont hurt anyone! take care of urself first and foremost cuz if ur not happy and healthy ur little ones wont be! good luck!!

I gave DD a bottle for 24 hours every other feeding when she was ~6 days old. I pumped when she was eating but I wasn't nursing.

If you are doing this once in a while I wouldn't worry - it would be just like if LO took a longer nap right? If you were going to do it regularly, I would pump when LO was on the bottle and not the breast. As PPer - taking care of yourself is very important.

Yes, potentialy it could. If you're reducing the demand on your supply, your supply will adjust to the lesser demand. Especially when you're sick, which is already compromising your supply.

You must feel horrible, down with the flu and the guilt. In all honesty, giving a bottle this early can affect supply, simply b/c it is not really established until 6 wks. BUT, not getting rest while you are sick can just as negatively impact you all. Do your best, nurse as often as you can and rest when you need to, if this means offering an occasional bottle, then do it and let the guilt go.

Hope you feel better soon!!!
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

Can you bring the baby into bed with you? It will help you keep up your supply and you can still get some rest. Make sure you stay hydrated.

Hope you feel better soon!