Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help me make it past a year!

Default Re: Help me make it past a year!

Quote Originally Posted by FluffyN View Post
    As for the night waking, I'm not sure if it is teething. I know molars are the next ones, but he just got his last incisor so I think it will still be a few weeks before we see any. !
    It could still be molars -- Jeremy actually got his incisors AFTER all four molars were in. And they took months to come in. I kept taking him in to check for ear infections because he kept touching his ears, but his ears were clean and the ped told us it was the molars instead. We had a lot of night wakings during that period as well. He's now down to 2-3 times a night, which is much better.

I'm glad the biting is a bit better -- my theory is that biting mama is where they get their first lessons in compassion, or at least, in becoming aware that their actions can hurt another. So it's actually an important life lesson that you are giving him. I mean, in Jeremy's case he bites his stuffed animals all day long. It's actually quite an achievement in self-restraint to recognize that mama is different and has REAL feelings, just like he does. That's like when you're teaching them to share, instead of just telling them to give back the toy they just grabbed, you tell them that their friend is sad, just as they would be if someone took their toy. That's a bit of a jump, but anyway that's what I've been reflecting on recently, with an 18-month old who doesn't bite anymore but chatters up a storm with my nipple dangerously dangling in his full mouth of teeth. Hugs and good luck!
    Annie
    Mama to Jeremy Daniel (12/10/2005)

I'm a late cloth convert...and you? :tumbsup

Well, now we have thrush. Lovely.
    Katie
    Just one more fanatical cloth diaper convert...
    Mom to Morgan (01/10/04) and Zachary (07/12/06)
    What are M & Z up to now?

Hope it gets better.

Proud Mother to Ziyad, born naturally, November 3 2006

Breastfed for 26 months and still co-sleeping
    "Do more than belong, participate. Do more than care, help.

Do more than believe, practice. Do more than be fair, be kind.

Do more than dream, work!."

Well, now we have thrush. Lovely.
    How do you know? Have you had it before? Start taking probiotics immediately and get the powdered kind to give to your LO ( you can mix it in with yogurt or whatever).

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Z has nasty white bumps all over his tongue and the insides of his cheeks and his dr said it appeared to be thrush so that is what we are going with. He's got rx mouth drops, I've got cream even though I don't have symptoms and we're going out looking for the probiotics this morning. Is there something else it might be?
    Katie

Z has nasty white bumps all over his tongue and the insides of his cheeks and his dr said it appeared to be thrush so that is what we are going with. He's got rx mouth drops, I've got cream even though I don't have symptoms and we're going out looking for the probiotics this morning. Is there something else it might be?
    It does sound like thrush although I'm not a hcp. I hope you don't develop symptoms! Treat Z and most def do the probiotics. the info posted in your other thread is good but don't drive yourself crazy!

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

I'm so upset - the problems just won't stop. The thrush seems to be gone, but now the biting is back. We had two really good weeks biting-wise and now he's at it again. I'm starting to wonder if it has anything to do with my menstrual cycle? For the last 3 months the biting has peaked in the week after ovulation (as best I can tell, I don't track those things too carefully). Unfortunately this is also the time that I get 8-10 days of very sore nipples and 2 weeks of general achy breasts. So even without biting, nursing would be uncomfortable half the month, but the biting makes it so painful.
    To top it of, my husband - who has been my biggest supporter and who is the reason I have been able to bf Z successfully thus far - totally turned on me and gave me a lecture about how I should stop bfing when the baby turns one because its not worth it if I am in pain and that extended bfing is unnecessary and psychologically damaging and blah blah blah. I try to educate him, but he is suspicious of "experts" and prefers to believe in his own instincts (read: opinions).
    Honestly, I wouldn't mind nursing less. We're down to 6-7 times during the day which has been very nice but he still nurses at least 10 times overnight and I'd love to cut that in half. So I'm totally open to putting in place a slow, gradual weaning process, but getting pressure from DH makes me both sad and mad. I'm so hurt because I really thought we were in this together and now I know I'm on my own.
    Sorry for rambling. I don't have anyone else to vent to.
    Katie

I am so sorry you are going through this.
    Ok first off the nipple soreness. I have heard many moms have great success with taking a calcium/magnesium supplement during ovulation and the first few days of their period and it greatly helps with nipple soreness and helps with supply issues. here is a link to some great info on that and it also tells you how much calcium to take. http://www.breastfeed-essentials.com/menstruation.html

After reading that you have had thrush it makes me wonder. How long after you stopped treating for thrush was it before the biting returned? Do you think that maybe there is a connection there? As a mom that has struggled with thrush in the past I know how hard it is to get it totally gone. It can be tricky and when you think it is gone you have a short time that you think you are symptoms free only for it to return in a couple of weeks. I had to treat myself and my ds for thrush for 3 weeks after we were symptoms free before we finally broke to recurring cycle with us. Here is some info on thrush that I found very helpful when I was dealing with it. http://breastfeeding.hypermart.net/thrush.html

there are many reasons why some little ones bite teething is one of the common ones and I understand that you do not feel that is the case here, a drop in milk supply (which is common during ovulation), thrush and sometimes it is just a phase

you are doing a wonderful job when he does bite of gently ending the nursing session mamma
    hang in there mama!! I hope things improve for you soon
    Last edited by momofalexlogan; July 1st, 2007 at 01:49 AM.

Thanks for the calcium/magnesium tip! I'm definitely going to try that! Heck, I'll try pretty much anything right now. Today he bit me hard on both sides - blood and everything. When he bit the right side it hurt so bad I got lightheaded and had to lay down!
    I've wondered too if the thrush was related to the biting. The visable symptoms (white spots in DS's mouth) went away after about 5 days, but we continued using the drops/cream for the 10 days his ped recommended. I never had any symptoms. Interestingly, while he was on the meds and for about a week after he wasn't biting much at all. Maybe the uptick in biting means its coming back? I've been checking everyday in Z's mouth but so far it looks clear. I'll keep watching it though.
    Katie

mama I am so sorry that you now have bleeding due to another bite. When I got thrush it was due to a bite from my ds when he began teething that did not heal properly. Like you I never showed any symptoms and my ds only had white in his mouth when it got really bad.
    Here is some information on nipple healing just in case you would like to take a look.
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...lehealing.html

Have you thought about taking probiotics? Probiotics are also excellent to take to help prevent and fight thrush and they are also great to take when you are dealing with healing bites.

hang in there and please post updates on how things are going
    Last edited by momofalexlogan; July 3rd, 2007 at 07:41 AM.