Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Help me make it past a year!

Default Re: Help me make it past a year!

Well, we made it to a year! Yay!
    But, unfortunately, the biting continues. I am starting to worry that there is some underlying cause that I am just not seeing. I'm going to ask his doctor at his checkup on Friday if maybe it could be caused by a jaw or ear problem. Some people in my LLL group suggested taking him to a chiropractor which...I don't know. Does anyone have experience with that? My other worry is that it is a sign of some sort of developmental issue.
    He doesn't seem to be biting on purpose. It can occur at anytime during a feeding and he looks genuinely cobfused when I tell him "no biting".
    I don't think its thrush, but its hard to tell. I do have pain in one or both nipples/breasts pretty much all the time, but is it from just the biting or thrush too? I've been taking probiotics regularly and I'm thinking of getting some genetian violet and seeing if it helps. Is there any reason I shouldn't use it if I'm not sure its thrush? I can't find anything that says.
    Katie
    Just one more fanatical cloth diaper convert...
    Mom to Morgan (01/10/04) and Zachary (07/12/06)
    What are M & Z up to now?

Hi FluffyN,
    Happy Birthday and congratulations!
    You must be ready for the struggles to be done, though! When you are at the doctor's office for his checkup, could you ask about the thrush? If you and your ds go to different doctors, you might need to make separate appointments. Even if only one of you has symptoms, it's important that both of you be treated at the same time. Here is a really thorough article about thrush. (Apologies if you've already seen it.)
    Yeast Infections and the Breastfeeding Family:
    Helping mothers find relief for symptoms and treatment for the infection preserves the breastfeeding relationship

And here are a couple of other resources about biting and chiropractic care.
    Beware of the Biter (The first response talks about a chiropractic approach to a biting situation.)
    Chiropractic Care for the Breastfeeding Dyad (This article is more general.)
    HTH!
    Mary

Thank you so much for the thrush link, Mary. Very informative. After reading it I was pretty sure that the pain in my right breast for the last couple of weeks was yeast related rather than simply a slow-healing bite so I made an appointment to see my doctor today. BUT then it miraculously healed! No more pain! So...does that mean it wasn't yeast after all? Thrush doesn't just go away on its own does it? I am so confused. Should I try to get them to treat us for thrush just in case? To make matters worse, this is the last month we'll be able to afford health insurance for awhile so I want to make sure we take care of any issues NOW! Argh! This is so frustrating.
    Katie

I've sent you a PM, Katie.

Mary

www.llli.org/FAQ/bite.html
    this might help. I came across it while on a hunt for something else. Its always something isnt it!
    My little May baby just turned THE BIG ONE!
    Formally known as kaykate23

my dr says gv is a benign treatment and will most certainly get rid of the thrush if there is any. the lo wont like it though, also don't use recommended treatment for longer than three days. good luck again
    My little May baby just turned THE BIG ONE!
    Formally known as kaykate23

Thought I'd post an update...
    Well, I'm pretty sure it wasn't thrush that was causing all the pain - just a really bad slow-healing bite - because it cleared up on its own. I did end up going to see my doctor who told me she'd never seen so many cuts on a nipple before and that I should wean immediately, blah, blah, blah. So that healed and then he bit me really bad again two Saturdays ago. And then didn't bite at all for 9 whole days!!! His first molars were cutting through that week and he wanted to nurse constantly but didn't bite - not even a little nip! Isn't that weird? I guess he was just so serious about nursing that he didn't get a chance to bite me. So now that his teething pain has eased (I'm assuming, since he's sleeping better) he's started biting a little again, but so far nothing serious. I soooo hope we are over the worst of it. Thanks for all the support ladies!
    Katie

Ah, heck. I spoke too soon. The biting is back - with a vengence.
    Katie

Ugh. I am sorry you're havign to put up with this...
    Mother to Emily June, b. Sept 18, 2005 and Lucy Quinn, b. 1/20/2012

“Buy the ticket, take the ride."
    Hunter S. Thompson

Excitement on the Side: Who doesn't love a confident woman with long boobs...