Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Anyone's newborn throwing up after feeding?

Default Anyone's newborn throwing up after feeding?

My 3 week old just threw up after a feeding. Some people say it's because they can be overfed, however, it was two hours since my last feeding, and she started to cry and show signs that she was hungry again. During the feeding, she was a little fussy and crying off and on, and when she was done, I was going to burp her when she threw up...(eventually twice). She seemed relieved after throwing up, and stopped crying. Anyone going through the same thing? or know what this can be?

Default Re: Anyone's newborn throwing up after feeding?

My DD started having similar problems around 3-4 weeks. (Now 3 mos) I have a very overactive let down (OALD) and oversupply. My DD is also sensitive to dairy. Both problems cause gas, fuss, and upchuck (as well as green mucousy stools) I think that 3 weeks is about the time babies start throwing stuff up - and after 6-8 weeks that calms down a bit. If your LO is not bothered by it you probably have nothing to worry about. If its painful for your baby I would check into food allergies and oversupply/oald to see if either of those sound like a fit.

My DS threw up around that same time period. I think it was something I ate - dairy or even Orange juice. He doesn't do it anymore (8 weeks).

Dyl has pretty severe allergies. Hes also had a virus. I guess, watch YOUR intake and keep your hands clean.Oh, and if you eat spicy or greasy food sometimes that can cause it too

My DS threw up massive amounts constantly, after every meal up and to the next feeding from the time he was 1 week to almost 7 months. Our ped said we could take him for extensive tests or just monitor his weight gain. That's what we opted for and he's fine. It was probably a case of reflux, but he's fine now and was always growing well.
    I wouldn't be too worried about it unless it was constant and severe.
    HTH

Smile Re: Anyone's newborn throwing up after feeding?

Thanks so much for all your responses....these forums are truly helpful to me..

Here is a link. It sounds like it could be some reflux. Does this happen after every feeding? Make sure your burping well...at least between breast switches, maybe even sooner. My LO has always needed to burp often. This website has alot of helpful info.

http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/reflux.html