Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Not sure what's going on now...

Question Not sure what's going on now...

My daughter was born 4.5 wks early, 6 weeks ago. Because of a weak suck, I was given a nipple shield by the LC at the hospital.
    FINALLY, late last week, my baby and I worked super hard and we are off the nipple shield! It took about 2 1/2 days, and by the weekend, she was nursing great.
    But now, we have new problems. Beginning yesterday, she won't latch well (is just gettingt the tip -- OUCH), and is only eating for 5 -10 minutes. (she normally nurses for 20-30 minutes)
    I kept thinking that she'll be hungry enough at the next feeding to do better, or that she'll eat again sooner, but she's still going 2 hours during the day and 4 at night.

Her diapers are still good and wet and dirty... but I'm still worried.

What could be going on?

Thanks!
    Last edited by MrsVest; April 24th, 2006 at 08:23 AM.

Default Re: Not sure what's going on now...

Hi there Kudos to you for working so patiently with your new baby through tough times.

If your baby is having a sufficient amount of wet diapers then I wouldn't worry -- she's getting enough to eat. However, you may need to go back to the basics in terms of latching and positioning. Sometimes we just slack off in this area and it turns out to be the root cause of our problems. If you need to, use a different position so that you've got good control of her head. If she's slipping down off the nipple it might be because she's not being held in a position that prevents it, kwim?

Also, you may have an overactive let-down that did not present itself while using the nipple shield. The forcefulness of your let down may be causing her to pull back a bit in an attempt to keep up with the flow of your milk. Does she appear to be having a hard time keeping up when your milk is letting down? If so, you may want to try to use gravity to your advantage by placing baby on top of you while you lay in a prone position to nurse. You can also pump or hand express your milk until it let's down and then put baby to breast. Or you could pop her off your breast entirely while your milk is letting down, allowing it to spray into a towel, and then put baby back to breast. Some babies won't tolerate this though

Also, it's okay if she's only at the breast for a few minutes as long as her output is good. Some babies get all they need in just a few minute. Watch the baby, not the clock.

HTH! Keep up the great work!

Default Re: Not sure what's going on now...

I worry too when Gavin doesn't nurse for long but I keep seeing that "watch the baby, not the clock" and well I mean he tells me when he's hungry lol his diapers are good & wet/dirty too, so I wouldn't worry hun, sounds like things are going great
    Melanie
    Proud Army Wife to James
    Loving Mommy to DS Gavin: March 16, 2006 and DSS Cody: Feb 13, 1998
    Banners/Photos/HC