Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Have OS and back to work, double pump?

Default Have OS and back to work, double pump?

Right now I blockfeed my LO with each feeding. I'll be returning to work working long hours and I want to protect my supply. Should I double pump or just pump from one side each time? I dont want to aggravate my OS but worried about keeping milk up.

Default Re: Have OS and back to work, double pump?

Some OS mothers find that they only need to pump one side at a time to have an adequate supply for their babies once they have returned to work. Others find that they do need to double pump. It really is individual. You'll probably figure out what works best for you with a little experimentation. I'm sure some working mothers will share their experiences with you as well.

Best Wishes,

Tiana

Quote Originally Posted by LLLTiana View Post
    Some OS mothers find that they only need to pump one side at a time to have an adequate supply for their babies once they have returned to work. Others find that they do need to double pump.
    Is the goal to produce as much milk LO is taking in at each feed with each pump session? My LO takes 4-5 oz which means I do have to double pump (i only get 2-3 oz from one breast)?

I always double pump at work. I've found that I usually end up with what my LO needs throughout the day (13oz from 3 pumping sessions). Also double pumping keeps me from having engorgement and leaking problems at work. On the weekends I breastfeed and only nurse from one side at a time and I haven't had a problem switching between pumping and nursing.

Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by CJ's Mommy View Post
    Is the goal to produce as much milk LO is taking in at each feed with each pump session? My LO takes 4-5 oz which means I do have to double pump (i only get 2-3 oz from one breast)?
    Your goal would be to sufficiently empty your breasts (to prevent engorgement and keep up milk production) and have enough pumped milk to feed your daughter while you are seperated. You could start out double pumping and, if it ends up being more milk than you need for a day, switch to pumping only one breast at a time. It's a good idea to store your milk in 2-3oz quantities for your childcare provider. This minimizes wasted milk. You may find that your baby "reverse cycles"...that is, nurses more often during the night and takes less milk during the day while you are seperated.

HTH,

Tiana