Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Distracted Baby !

Default Distracted Baby !

Hi, I've read other posts where when babies get too distracted to try feeding in a dark quiet room , but with two other children thats not possible until our nighttime feedings. For the past month or so my dd has become increasingly distracted - she'll stop nursing to turn and look at what her brother and sister are doing - or if they're sitting quietly watching TV she'll turn to see whats on TV
    I keep encouraging her back on, which she will nurse for a few minutes, till she turns to look again, or sometimes she'll stop just to start cooing and smiling at me for a few minutes - while its all very cute I want to make sure she is getting enough to eat , especially the hind milk as I've had concerns about her weight gain ( only gained a little over a pound from 4 to 6 months ). When she is distracted I do try and give her 20 - 30 minutes per side to account for the time she's not nursing but with her stopping / starting so much I can't be sure how much she's actually getting - although she does seem satisfied afterwards.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appeciated
    Thanks!
    Pam
    mommy to Lauren ( 5yrs ) Matthew ( almost 3 ) and baby Emma ( 6months )

Default Re: Distracted Baby !

My 4 mo dd does the same thing--even in a dark quiet room she is distracted by me. Then, about every 3rd feeding, she eats like she is ravenous and can't be distracted for anything. I guess I figure she will eat when she is hungry enough. She gained under 2 lbs between 6 weeks and 4 months, but she looks chubby and healthy, so I guess she is gaining fine. I have heard that weight gain goes in spurts too, so if the ped thinks db is doing okay I would just stay patient!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes