Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is it too late?

Default Is it too late?

My daughter is 8 weeks old and I am pretty much exclusively pumping bm for her feedings. She still nurses quite a bit every day and will occassionally have a good session in the middle of the night where she is satisfied afterwards, but mostly she nurses more for comfort because she doesn't really get serious about eating until she's given a bottle. My supply is well-established and I've been able to fit pumping into my daily routine to where my hubby and I have been able to go out and have sort of a life again. I even have a decent stash of bm in my freezer for when I go back to work in Aug.

My question is this: Is it too late for me to get her really eating from the breast? I've had sort of an empty feeling because I wasn't able to breastfeed her the way that I wanted to. The first couple of weeks I tried to avoid bottles but she would scream all night and I would sit up and cry feeling like my body was letting me and her down. I've tried taking her to bed all day and nursing in the bath tub...I've really enjoyed that time with her and it helped my supply to increase, but it didn't solve the problem of her not getting enough milk while nursing. Sometimes I think that I just need to be grateful that I was able to find a way to make it work and my daughter is still getting breastmilk, but I can't help but feel like I'm missing out on the "real" breastfeeding experience. Has anyone been in the same boat and made a turn around? If so, how did you do it?

Default Re: Is it too late?

Can you gradually stop using the EBM bottles? Maybe she would be more inclined to nurse from you.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

Just an idea - but I wonder what she would do if you used a supplemental nursing system (a tube attached to your breast that would provide additional milk) She'd get more at a time which may show her it's time to eat!
    Keep up the good work!

What makes you think she's not getting milk from you when she nurses? She probably gets more than you think.

How is her latch? Maybe have a LLL leader or lactation consultant (IBCLC) check that out?

I might consider feeding her when she's sleepy or not hungry as well.

You could try pumping briefly, hand-expressing or using a warm compress to get your milk flowing before you latch her on, if you think she's impatient. The bottle lets her be lazy.

If you start eliminating bottles, just keep an eye on her diapers, make sure she's wetting often.
    Lynda
    Tree-hugging, queer-loving, liberal, feminist Mommy to L August 2006

Agree with Lynda. What makes you feel like you are not producing enough milk? How are her diapers?